Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trade in a guitar or sell it on ebay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickname, Feb 21, 2006.

1. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    I have a Mark Hoppus Fender Percision bass. I paid around 800 for the bastard, but now i want something else. Will i make more money selling it to Long-Mcquade or a Guitar Works, or should I try ebay.

What do you figure the guitar is worth.. assuming its in reasonable condition. no serious issues.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No matter how you sell it you're not going to get anywhere near as much money as you paid for it.

Selling it to a store, you have to remember they need to be able to sell it AND profit from buying it from you, so take a chunk off of market value and that's what you'll see. Selling direct is always your best bet as all the money goes straight in your pocket.

3. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    any idea how i can figure out the value of the guitar?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Use eBay to check closed listings for a Hoppus bass.

5. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    599 new. hmm. dammit! why why why did i get this stupid guitar

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well did you play it or buy it simply to make a profit?

Do you feel like it served you well for the time?

7. Definately sell it rather than trading it in. If you trade it in, you've got a higher chance of moving it, but when you trade to music stores, you're usually not going to get more than 20% of the retail value of the instrument. Whereas, if you sell it on your own, you can possibly get 50-75% of the retail value. A music gear retailer will rip you off no matter what though, only slightly worse would be to pawn it, where you'll likely only get 10% or so of the market value.

8. +1

Buy an instrument to use it. If you want something to appreciate in value, buy real estate.

9. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    thanks guys.
    ive learnt my lesson i would say.
    im reallllly lookin at that rickenbacker 4003 :)

10. if you traded in some place like guitar center you will get less than half of what the price is new so if you payed 800 you will be lucky to get 300

Try e bay you can get at least 450 maybe a little less

11. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Agreed. I have never had trouble selling anything on eBay. Do a search on eBay for your bass and see what it is selling for. Then list yours at a similar price. You may be surprised.

I never trade into a music store if I can help it. The only thing I would consider trading in are speaker cabinets if I couldn't sell them locally.

You may also want to try putting an ad on CraigsList.

12. Since you mentioned guitarworks and long and macquade I'm going to assume you're in calgary. That's my home town, so I've got experience with both shops, and I stay away from guitarworks now. Everything they carry you can get at L&M or Axe, and they give the worst trade value, IME. I'd definitely try to sell it on your own, but if you have to trade it in I'd try L&M then Axe. And no I don't work at either of these shops, I just know the shops in calgary from both good and bad experiences over the years.

13. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    yes im from calgary! good to see another calgarian on here.

I'm going to try ebay, seeing as i just sold an amp on there not too long ago for a decent price.

14. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Unless you find a '59 Flame Top Les Paul that someone has left in the closet for the last 35 years not knowing what it is and you picked it up in a yard sale for $50 with the original hang tags...

15. Go FLAMES!!!:D

16. mgrier1

mgrier1

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    ePay will most likely maximize your profits despite the extra efforts required to sell on there...

17. Bassossorus

Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    CHICAGO

+1

18. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Now with a Rick, you can almost get on ebay what you paid for it new.