1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trade In my Avatar 4-10 For A Markbass 2-10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ampig, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

My Avatar 4-10 just isn't thrilling me. I'm thinking of going over to GC and trading it in for a Markbass 2-10. Are these Markbass cabs all they're cracked up to be or will I wind up regretting my decision? I know I need to use my ears, but the way things sound in the store is never the way they do at a gig. Will the MB push enough for a soul/rock gig in a samll/medium sized club? Any Markbass/Avatar owners want to chime in?

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Markbass cabinets haven't really been highly regarded by a lot of people. They are OK but not spectacular. You will be losing a LOT of bottom end if you go this route(mostly from moving to a 2x10 from a 4x10). There are better options out there. Just try to have a good idea of the sound you want when you are trying out cabinets.

3. I use 2x10 cabinets exclusively but I would never try to gig with one. I always use a pair. If you are playing in a quiet band in small places you might just get away with one but I doubt it. There's only so much two cones can accomplish.

Paul

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Agreed with everything so far. Markbass cabs are also very much love 'em or hate 'em. There isn't much middle ground. For the most part I love them because I never have a problem hearing myself with them. But I can see why others don't. They sound pretty bleh in the store, but they come alive on a gig.

5. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    I was less then thrilled with the Avatar 210 & 212 that I briefly had as well. I also use a LMII. Went with an Epi PS410 4 ohm and I love it. If you decide to trade in to GC, you'll be lucky to get 150-175 at best for the Avatar. I would sell your Avatar and then buy another 410, perhaps used from Epi, Berg etc. and 4 ohms.

6. Even the 'worst' 410 will put out (in general) more volume than the 'best' 210.

You are mixing two issues:

1) Might you like the MB210 tone better than your Avatar 410?.... possibly

2) Will the MB210 put out as much volume and sound as your Avatar 410?... most likely not.

7. Do the larger markbass cabs sound similar tonally to the little 12" combo they have out? I LOVE the tone out of that thing.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    What is it that you are missing with the Avatar ?

9. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

The Avatar is OK. It just seems to be lacking somewhat in clarity.

10. I agree. I have the Neo 212 and use it w/ an LMII. I can dial a good sound, but it doesn't showcase the LMII the way I would like (the way some other cabs do). Alot of the EQ settings sound flat.

However, everyone seems to love these cabs. Maybe they are just excited at how nice they are for the price (which they are). Maybe I just suck. I dunno..

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Avatar cabs are great for the money, but going from a 410 to a 210 will be a losing situation. Look for a better sounding 410, or even check out some 212's. Lots of good articulate cabs to be had these days. Just don't rush into anything, especially trading with GC, which is definately a losing situation.

12. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    My Avatars lack nothing in the clarity dept......:confused:hrrrmmmm.
    Tweeter Settings? Need new strings? EQ settings?

Do you have the Neo version or the regular?

13. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I think you should sell the Avatar and have Don (LDS) build you a new 4-10.

14. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

My Avatar is a Neo.
    When compared to my Goliath 6-10 it's just duller sounding.