Trade in or Ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCT, Apr 29, 2005.

1. MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    I own an MIM fretless Fender Jazz and I want to go to Guitar Center to Trade it in for an MIM p-bass. I was wondering if that is a wise move or should I just put it up on Ebay? :confused:

I just don't want to have to pay more if I trade it in for a P-bass. I just want an even trade, but I'm afraid they'll try and gyp me. :(
  2. NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    Go to E-bay they are only going to give you half of what they want to sell it for......maybe a little more if its toward a trade. I was getting rid of my 5 string mim jazz deluxe excellent condition (1 scratch on the side) they wanted to give me 200 for it.
  3. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    What have you got to lose, but go in there and see what they'll give you? There's a MIM fretless on eBay right now, see what it goes for and that'll be your comparison point. For what it's worth tho, maybe you should also consider buying a MIM P off ebay, then you'd save even more money in the transaction? Just a thought! :bassist:
  4. MCT

Apr 11, 2005

Are you serious? The P-bass cost so much less than the Jazz I was hoping they would see that and be reasonable, but damn.
  5. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Guitar Center... reasonable???

They'll scoff at you! You're much better off trading thru ebay.
  6. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Or try selling it here.

7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For the most money, eBay. For the easiest transaction, become a supporting member and list here. For getting ripped off, go to Guitar Center.

For everything else, there's Mastercard. Accepted at bassists' forums everywhere through Paypal
  8. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

every store needs to make a profit and generally speaking they buy at wholesale (can't give you retail for youre bass) and they need to sell at some (generally) predertimined mark above cost.

Are you a reguler customer their? That often helps on closing the gap on trad ins and the skinnying down the margin. On the other hand if the dealership is short what ever you are trading in (they probably are not) and overstocked with what you want, a deal could be made.

Give it a go, you could suprise some of us.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    You could try craigslist or some local classified ad. Maybe you can find someone who'll do a straight trade with you.

I'm sure there's someone out there who'd love to trade their P for a Fretless J.
  10. MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    Well at the suggestion of a friend I went to the warmoth site and I have decided to buy a P-bass neck and putting it on the Jazz body. I think I'll be happy with that.
  11. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    I agree with becoming a supporting member here and listing it for trade. I listed my gibson tobias and said I wanted to trade for a modulus Q6, and ended up with one. I bet you could do a trade here, you should give it a try. Buying a neck from warmoth may not be as easy as you want, you still need to get a nut and have it cut/installed. Plus there's no neck holes so you can't just bolt it up.
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Take pictures when you're done! That's one of my favorite setups!
  13. SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    A 'parts-bass' I assembled using that setup :)

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    That looks sharp! What's the body wood?
  15. SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO

As far as the wood, I wish I knew for sure, a friend of mine found it in a landfill, unfinished and dinged up pretty bad... I've had 2 woodworking type guys say it looks like rosewood. it does weigh a freaking ton, so they may be right. That's just a tung oil finish too, so that's pretty much the wood's color you're seeing.

more pimp closeups;

16. MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    That looks so sweet. I really love heavy basses. Wow I can't get over how good it looks. Maple fretboard with the black hardware. So nice.
  17. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    This is probably too late, but the best thing to do is go through Ebay. Set up your auction with a reserve price, but don't be ridiculous with it. Make sure you set it at a price you'd like to get for it, but remember that if it's too high, it won't sell. If it doesn't sell, then you can consider the trade in option.
  18. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    oh my god what a beautiful bass you have......... :)