Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trade in or keep looking?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike88T, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Need opinions on whether I should trade my guitar for another bass.

I have been looking for a decent inexpensive fretless for a few months just to play around with and today at a local shop I found a Squire P bass that had been defretted. I'm not talking Roger Sadowsky defretted, more Roger Rabbit; frets were pulled but not filled. Anyway I had just stopped for a minute to see if they had anything not really thinking they would, so I just gave it a quick look over and played it for 10 minutes or so unplugged just to see what it felt like. Yes I know I said I only had a minute but guitar store time is different then real time. It seemed ok nothing glaringly wrong with it aside from its general "beat up cheap bass" look.
    Part two of this little saga involves my Jackson PS-4 Performer guitar, which I haven’t played in quite a while mostly because I can't(ok well i can to an extent I just prefer bass) and because I'm tired of tuning it every five minutes. Eye appeal wise its very nice, black with black hardware and a rosewood board. Has twin Hum and a single pup in between, five-way switch (actually i think it's only three-way but has five positions) well u get the Idea. It has some issues with the volume knob and Bar on the Floyd Rose doesn't thread in as well as it should, but otherwise plays well.
    So my question is, didn't think I would ever get to it did you?

Should I trade My Jackson for this Squire or keep looking, and do you think the Jackson is worth enough that i could try and get more then just the bass out of this deal?

By the way the price on the tag for the Squire is 130$ is that too high?

2. The price seems way to high. Check out Essex. I have hear people are quite happy with them.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The price may be a little high, but it's not way too high. See if you can get them down to $100 - $115. I played a defretted bass without the slots filled in for a while and had no problems, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to fill them in with maple veneer or wood filler.

Minimalist, I have never heard of Essex. Is that one of those internet only brands made by Samick?

4. Thanks for the input

I am hopeing to just trade the Jackson for it, and i know that in that situation the shop is going to want to make money on the deal. I don't blame them thats what they are there for , I,m just trying to get as much as i can out of the trade.

5. Jeff, I don't know who makes them. I read about them on another board and people were quite happy with the fretless (didn't hear to much good things about the fretted). It sounds like a great deal if you want to check out fretless.

Are sure about the price? I have seen them in a Pawn shop (with frets) for around $150. I wouldn't pay that much for an "unfinished" bass regardless if I could play it. But maybe that's just me.

6. embellisher

As long as the fingerboard wasn't butchered badly when it was defretted, I would pay $100 - $115 for it if I didn't have a fretless and wanted to try one.

7. I thought it was butchered since it was defretted by Roger Rabbit:D. I guess we have to see/play it.

8. embellisher

That's the first time I have seen a Soundgear 6 copy. And the other one looks like a Peavey Millenium Plus with 2 soapbars.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The prices are low enough for the quality to be suspect, but they do have some nice looking basses. Somebody buy this one and review it:

[​IMG]

9. Thatt is nice looking but I agree that for those prices I can't see how it could be made of anything worthwhile. I do like that Jazz though, except not with Gold hardware.