1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trade-in Value

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Joel Wanek, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Joel Wanek

Joel Wanek

Dec 1, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm thinking of buying a new bass and trading in the
    plywood one I currently use. Its a Roth (the label
    inside just says Roth, not E.H. Roth) plywood from the
    1970s and I'm curious if most bass shops accept
    trade-ins. If so, do they generally give you the price
    of the instrument or considerably less?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Unless they offer a specific upgrade program for basses originally purchased from them, I would expect to get far less than what they will ultimately sell the bass for. I would not be offended at all if a shop owner only offered 60-70 percent of the expected resale value of the bass. I know dealers of some types of instruments often offer as little as half.

In fairness to them, they have to account for any setup work they have to do for the future owner, as well as the amount of time they have to wait for a buyer to come in an pay for the rest of the bass you bought.

You are certainly better off financially to take a shot a selling it yourself before you consider trading it. Or, if you go ahead a buy the new bass, the shop owner may accept the bass for sale by consignment. I almost always see a few consigned basses in the local shop I frequent.

3. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Consider that a shop might have purchased a bass new for 60% of the advertised list price. A used one will sell for considerable less than a new one, so they might only be able to offer you 40% of the list price if you didn't buy it from them.

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Each shop has their own policy. Call around... I'm sure someone in Chicago would take a trade in w/cash.