Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trade Ins at GC

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by r05c03, Sep 15, 2005.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Hey,

Yeah so I am thinking about going down to Guitar Center and trading in my Ibanez GSR 200 and Shecter C4 and buying a one bass (The C4 is very new, but it is deep and boomy and I already have a hollow body that sounds kind of like it so I do not want to replicate that sound / have a bunch of basses). From your experience how much do you think I pull out of my two basses to put towards a new bass. Is it worht it, or would I be better off selling my two basses separately? Thanks for you opinions.

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    honestly? maybe 350-400

3. Sell them yourself. Guitar Center will give you half of what they can sell them for...and you can sell them for what GC can sell them for. You will ALWAYS lose money if you trade in an instrument rather than selling it yourself.

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    -Always-* a better idea to sell privately rather than trade-in..

Except in certain unforeseeable, extenuating circumstances, the event that said bass is a custom or "boutique" instrument, your online screen name consists of a misspelled primate reference, you have a odd fixation with toilet seat shaped things or any instance where one or more of the above may apply.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Not always--I couldn't get $1600 out of a bass when I tried to sell it online. But, I was able to get $2200 in trade-in value at GC. It certainly helps to have bought a whole bunch of stuff in the past from them, but still, it CAN be done if you rock.

Lower priced items, though, you're probably better off selling them yourself....

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Fine.. I changed it...

Happy now??? :rolleyes:

:p ;)

7. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I like the dichotomy of "always" and "YMMV."

Are you running for office, Mark? :bag:

8. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What do moon phases have to do with this???

Ok, how's that???

grumble, grumble, smart-ass, grumble, grumble...

9. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    *smooch*

10. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Back to the question...
    I've found GC to be the worst place for trade-ins. They will give you half what they intend to sell a bass for. You'd do better selling your basses yourself, if you can get someone to buy. Otherwise, I think the Mom-n-Pop stores are better for trade-ins.

11. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    What he said +100!! eBay is the way to go.....

I recently was looking into trading in a Carvin at a GC near me. Now this Carvin was a beautiful bass, Quilted maple top, maple fretboard, 5-string and in brand new condition....plus ABS case! Guitar Center offered me $250!!!! OH YEA!! A whole $250!! I told the manager I was never so insulted....and they lost me as a customer! Well long story short....I got more then double that on eBay!

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    My advice: Become a member of Talkbass (it pays for itself, trust me) and sell them here. You are far more likely to find honest buyers here and, chances are, there's probably someone reading this right now who needs one of the basses you are selling.

13. I returned a ibanez srx505 that I bought their like 3 months after I bought it and they gave me all my money back plus a bad ass deal on my mike dirnt. but still I think you would be better off selling it yourself. most people that work at GC are asses. the one in concord CA, has some really cool people workin thier I must admit

14. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    while all that's said about GC trade-ins are true. you get more if you make them knock down the price on the new bass as well.oh and tell to eat the tax as too :)

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Typically, you will do much better if you sell the basses yourself and then go and buy the new one with the proceeds.

Moved to Miscellaneous.

16. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Sell yourself. That's the best way.

1. Register on eBay
    2. Take pictures of product
    3. Create auction of product
    4. Sit and wait
    5. Reap benefits

Sounds pretty easy to me--as long as you're not asking too much.