1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

trade ins

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryanrocksursock, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Ryanrocksursock

Ryanrocksursock

Jan 17, 2008
    so im going to sam ash to trade in my bass...its a 06 mim white jazz bass with a badass 2 bridge can anyone guess how much they will give me on the trade?

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Depending on how much you are going to spend on a new bass. If you are buying another inexpensive bass, maybe $200. If you are buying a $4000 Sadowsky, they might give you a bunch more to sell the other bass.

Your bass would sell on eBay for about $300 so expect the music store to want to see it in the same ballpark plus make some money for their trouble.

3. Ryanrocksursock

Ryanrocksursock

Jan 17, 2008
    Thanks alot dude

4. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    I would say around 250-300 tops

5. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is how it works.

The take what it sells for on ebay and cut it in half.

So it goes like this New there what 479 or so.. I may be wrong so dont quote me on that

Used maybe 250-300 in the classifieds

The will offer $125-150 the badass will not do anything for you in a corporate chain they dont see it as you will see it.

Sell locally or here. Your going to take a massive hit. Its the reality of the Corporate music chain, they have to turn around and sell it to make profit.

6. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    ^ +1

Its much like the used car business. You can choose to go through the hassle and delay of trying to sell it yourself or get instant gratification, but take a beating on the trade-in. But, unlike cars, its not too big a hassle to sell the bass yourself and worth the extra time it takes. Use ebay or craig's list, or become a supporting member here @ TB and sell it in the classified section.

7. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    $300 on eBay looks like the average.

But if you're up for 'murder' you've got a lot of the parts are useful to the budding parts bass builders out there!

You could probably sell it for slightly more in parts than whole!

Badass - $50
    Neck - $100
    Body -$100
    Pups and wiring, knobs, etc - $50
    Tuners - $40
    Neck Plate and screws - $25
    Pickguard - $20

$385 (minus the selling fees!) versus $300 (minus the selling fees)

....just a thought!

8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I was offered $600.00 for a beautiful Spector euro neck thru in trade towards a Sadowsky by a much better retailer Than Sam Ash. I kept the spector.
    You'll be lucky to get offered $125.00 for a MIM POS.

9. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    POS, take your snobbery elsewhere. My MIM has been my MAIN gigging bass for 7.5 years and I got rid of plent of $1000+ basses in that timeframe :spit:

10. Lesfunk

If you do trade it , take your Badass off and put the original bridge back on if you have it. You could resell the bridge for a few bucks.

11. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry

May 24, 2007

If you take it to Sam Ash, they'll offer you exactly half of what they'll sell it for.

If it's in realy good shape, you could count on ~$150.
    Not ideal... but such is the instant "statisfaction" of trade-ins.
    (You could probably sell it here within a few days.)

Jim Roseberry
    www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

12. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    This seems uncalled for. :scowl:

13. Lesfunk

some of you guys are hyper sensitive.

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I'd say about $150 in a trade is about all you can expect to get.

You could do much better with a private sale.

15. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.
    Dude, you called what many people love and enjoy a POS. I hardly find them being somewhat defensive "hyper sensitive". I agree, totally uncalled for. I come here because this is a great online community because everyone is supportive of one another. Seeing crap like that REALLY irks me.

To the OP, most of the guys here are right, you have to remember that the store has to turn profit off of it. I think 250$ is the absolute highest you'll see in mint condition. You'd probably make more privately.

16. Lesfunk

You're right . I apologize for Calling a MIM J bass a POS. It was irrelevant to the thread and I need to do a better job of editing myself.
    Will you forgive me?
    And yes, I agree with the general consensus, Sam Ash Won't give you anywhere near the Value of the bass. You can double your $$ by selling it privately

17. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Again using the car dealer example, it's not what the price of the new bass is or the offer for the old one: it's the difference. A good friend who goes through basses like I go through rolls of toilet paper generally gets what he wants for his trade-in + X dollars. Chains are harder to deal with than locally owned stores, because it's possible to establish a relationship with an owner: if he knows you're coming in cash in your jeans (and you'll be coming back for more) he'll cut you some slack.

I confess, a couple of times I've allowed myself to take a (small) beating to get something I really needed, but since it was via trade, I wasn't out the cash. Overall, I've made out really good: a Fender Classic '50s Precision and a Korg D888 for about $400 in actual cash money, for example, and I got rid of some gear that I wasn't using and didn't want to spend the time peddling.

YMMV.

18. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    It is based on what you buy, if you buy a $2000 bass, they give you more on the trade, if you stay under $1000, you won't get all that much. At least that is my experience, I usually try to sell it myself, trade in is a "last resort". I think the parting out might be a better option.

19. trade-ins suck. my vote goes to selling it in the classifieds.

20. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    I took my MIM Jazz to GC when shopping for a new head.

They offered me $100 trade in.