Trade: Marshall 3540 (400W) Head for Ampeg SVT

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by CzarMike, Apr 25, 2002.

1. I have been really digging the sound of my friend's Ampeg SVT 2 Pro lately and I think I'd be willing to part with my Marshall 3540 Integrated Bass System Head for one. I'd also take a SVT 3 Pro.

This is from Harmony Central on the 3540:

Features: 9
    Originally sold for around $1000
    "Produced between 1986 and 1989", very hard to find info on I'll warn you now!
    Extremely versatile, you can do anything with it, although I prefer to just sound like bass (j/k)
    It has tons of features:
    Five-band e.q., Bi-amp Capability, Crossover, Footswitchable Volume Boost, Effects send, a preamp output, and a DI for recording or gigging. It also can be removed from its original enclosure and be rack mounted.
    I can blow my guitarist out of the water with this baby, it is solid state, but has a great tone, kind of ampeg-like, but a little more unique (an SVT would be nice, if you have about three times as much to spend). Only needs a Standby switch to be perfect.

Sound Quality: 10
    I use a B.C. Rich Warlock Platinum, and use a Zoom BFX-708 Effect Pedal (usually set to "Tube" effect and the "warm" amp simulator). I run the BFX through the effects loop and find that to make it sound better.
    The head runs two cabinets so far:
    a Traynor 2x15 and a Traynor 2x12

Reliability: N/A
    It's built like a tank! But I've only had it a few weeks, so I won't rate this one yet

Overall Rating: 10
    I've been playing bass for about two years now, and until I got this bad-ass I swore that I'd never be playing anything but my restored 1968 Traynor YBA-1, but I needed a crapload more power and reliability so I looked into Ampegs and such, and eventually found this weird Marshall contraption. I must say that if you can find one, get it! It blows Ampegs, Fenders, Traynors, and dare I say it... Edens away, especially for the price!
    I would like to have an Ampeg 8x10 to play it through, that's all.
    I wish it had a standby mode.
    I have pictures of it on our website:

The amp is in nearly perfect shape and sounds great, I guess I'm just in love with that distinct Ampeg Sound. These suckers are super hard to find, I saw one last week at an Australian site for $700.
    Please e-mail me direct at