1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trade: Marshall 3540 (400W) Head for Ampeg SVT

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by CzarMike, Apr 25, 2002.

1. I have been really digging the sound of my friend's Ampeg SVT 2 Pro lately and I think I'd be willing to part with my Marshall 3540 Integrated Bass System Head for one. I'd also take a SVT 3 Pro.

This is from Harmony Central on the 3540:

Features: 9
    Originally sold for around $1000
    "Produced between 1986 and 1989", very hard to find info on I'll warn you now!
    Extremely versatile, you can do anything with it, although I prefer to just sound like bass (j/k)
    It has tons of features:
    Five-band e.q., Bi-amp Capability, Crossover, Footswitchable Volume Boost, Effects send, a preamp output, and a DI for recording or gigging. It also can be removed from its original enclosure and be rack mounted.
    I can blow my guitarist out of the water with this baby, it is solid state, but has a great tone, kind of ampeg-like, but a little more unique (an SVT would be nice, if you have about three times as much to spend). Only needs a Standby switch to be perfect.

Sound Quality: 10
    I use a B.C. Rich Warlock Platinum, and use a Zoom BFX-708 Effect Pedal (usually set to "Tube" effect and the "warm" amp simulator). I run the BFX through the effects loop and find that to make it sound better.
    The head runs two cabinets so far:
    a Traynor 2x15 and a Traynor 2x12

Reliability: N/A
    It's built like a tank! But I've only had it a few weeks, so I won't rate this one yet

Overall Rating: 10
    I've been playing bass for about two years now, and until I got this bad-ass I swore that I'd never be playing anything but my restored 1968 Traynor YBA-1, but I needed a crapload more power and reliability so I looked into Ampegs and such, and eventually found this weird Marshall contraption. I must say that if you can find one, get it! It blows Ampegs, Fenders, Traynors, and dare I say it... Edens away, especially for the price!
    I would like to have an Ampeg 8x10 to play it through, that's all.
    I wish it had a standby mode.
    I have pictures of it on our website:
    http://www.Soulshadow.com/gear/mbassamp.jpg
    http://www.Soulshadow.com/gear/mbassamp2.jpg

The amp is in nearly perfect shape and sounds great, I guess I'm just in love with that distinct Ampeg Sound. These suckers are super hard to find, I saw one last week at an Australian site for $700.
    Please e-mail me direct at sheilaridez@hotmail.com