Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trade my 400+ for an Eden WT800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan T., Feb 22, 2006.

1. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    What's everybody's thoughts on this? I've got an opportunity to trade my Mesa 400+ for an Eden WT800. I've played an Eden 800 on numerous times with two Eden 4x10Xlt's and loved it. I'm just wondering if I'm giving myself a raw deal on this if I go for the trade, any comments? By the way I will also be using this amp with two 8 ohm Eden 4x10Xlts...

2. I'm not sure of the cost of the 400+, but IMHO the eden 800 is a classic, it's my favorite amp.

3. Apples and oranges, both very delicious.

4. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    both great.
    400+ better.(to me)
    but i like apples better than oranges.
    that's a radical change in sound if you do it.
    depending on the condition of the amps, you might fare better or worse.
    if i'm not mistaken, a great-shape400+
    will re-sell for a bit more than a wt800,
    especially now that the 550's are going used.

5. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
  6. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    i definitely realize the difference in sound but i think when it comes down to it, I've found that the 400+ isn't really for me, I've had it for about a year now and have never been able to dial it in quite right on multiple basses and amp configurations... am i giving up too easily on it? and

sadly no it isn't the "b" it's an older model. anyone who's got an 800 does this pair well with an ampeg 810? i've got one and i was wondering how the two match up if at all...

7. It's a good deal for the other guy.
    You do realize that tube amps have souls, but solid state amps don't, right? ANd hybrids, they're just filthy cyborgs.

8. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    it took me a few months to finally get my sound on my 400+, but when i got it, it was amazing. i wrote down the settings...the vol knob on my bass even played into the equation...

9. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    oh, and by the way, i never liked my 400+ with eden speakers. it always sounded so boomy,muddy & without any depth of tone. I don't think it's a good fit

a schroeder 4x10 sorted that out for me !

10. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    word well, i've tried my mesa with an ampeg 810, mesa 215, and eden 410's, i don't know it just never sounds great to me no matter which cab i use. it's like every time i turn the bass up a little bit i get this blaring tone and when i turn it down to compensate for that i lose all my presence...

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Plug into a Berg NV610 or NV215 and I bet you'd change your mind.

12. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    hmm well i do have a friend that has a berg 610. maybe i'll give that a whirl before i go to town on this deal...

13. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    don't forget that flat is around 2-10-2 .

I usually have my mids around 7, bass 3 pulled & treble at 1.

I had *exactly* that problem (turn up the bass & it sounds like crap, never enough bass if i don't) with my 400+ & my eden cabs.

i think the schroeder is a great match because the bass is really tight & has a pronouced midrange. the eden are pretty much the opposite (scooped sound with muddy lows).

with that amp you really need a cab with tight lows (that's why lots of people like the bergs 6x10's because they are sealed & don't have ports to mess up the bass), and good sounding midrange.

14. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    right on thanks for the tips, actually i think you've lent me some help in the past on my 400+, always appreciated...

15. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    As much as I love my 400+, if you don't care for it.... well, then you just don't care for it.
    You said you loved the Eden and you have experience with it.
    If it's more YOUR sound, then go for it. You may take a little bit of a loss, but sound is priceless... no?