1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Trade TRADE: My Carvin SB5000 (modded) for a quality 24-fret 4-string, LOCAL TRANSACTION

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Dincrest, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    Intro:
    Up for grabs is a lovely Carvin SB5000 that I bought from a fellow TBer last year. This stellar instrument fulfills most every need and want for it to be a "forever bass." I almost don't want to give it up because its easily one of the best instruments I've ever owned.

However, I don't play 5-strings any more. A backup 4-string with a Hipshot Xtender to click into drop D whenever I want (like my main bass: a modded ESP/LTD 4-string) is all I really need/want as my second. Plus, although I've spent years playing 5 and 6 string basses (which are both pretty sweet), my hands and musical soul are most at home on a 4.

Disclaimer:
    I am not at all comfortable with shipping an instrument (never done it before and don't particularly want to take that risk; especially nowadays), so I would like to do a local/in-person transaction. I live in southern New Jersey, 30-40 minutes from Philadelphia. I would be willing to drive an hour or so to make something good happen (or up to 2 hours within New Jersey; I grew up in north Jersey). All masking and other assorted safety protocols will be abided by.

Specs on this SB5000:

-Alder body (transparent red finish)
    -Maple neck with a very comfortable profile (I call it a "baby bear" neck: not too chunky, not too skinny, but just right.)
    -22 fret Ebony fingerboard (with abalone block inlays)
    -34" scale
    -19mm string spacing at the bridge
    -bridge has top load and string-through-body options
    -45mm (1.77") nut width
    -easy-open battery compartments for two 9v batteries
    -Currently strung with GHS Boomers (the plain ol' hex Boomers) 40-120 (which, according to the GHS tension chart, is pretty well balanced for an off-the-shelf set)
    -Axetreme Creations "flames and flowers" pickguard (Sorry, I don't have the original pickguard)
    -Dunlop StrapLocks (Sorry, I don't have the original strap buttons)
    -includes the Carvin soft case.
    -(For what it's worth, it was given a professional setup summer 2020 by a luthier whom I've had working on my basses for over 15 years now)

The previous owner had the following mods done to it:
    -Hipshot UltraLite tuners (US made)
    -John East J-Retro Deluxe preamp (18 volts of power, plus a full passive bypass. The bass can function without batteries if need be)
    -Bartolini 59CBJD1 pickups
    (The combination of Barts with the J-Retro preamp makes for a plethora of fantastic tones).

Flaws:
    -The straplock pin on the upper horn was starting to come a little loose; I tightened it up, but you may want to keep an eye on it.
    -There are a few tiny dings on the front and some play-wear scratches on the back that do not show up well in photos.
    -Could use some shiny new screws for the pickguard

Weight:
    This instrument weighs in the ballpark of 9.6 pounds (or about 4.35kg), which is not bad at all for a full-bodied Jazz-style 5-string like this one. The balance on this bass is quite lovely, making it feel lighter than it really is. And though the string spacing at the bridge is 19mm, it's very manageable even for someone with smaller hands like me. I find this bass super comfortable to play.

Etc:
    Oh, and did I mention this bass is a slap machine? I'm not a very good slapper, yet even my meager skills seem good on this bass, which I think is a tool that can handle most any genre of music well.

SB5000s are much-lauded instruments here on TalkBass for good reason. I'm only seeking a new home for it because I'm not really a 5-string player any more, and want a 24-fret 4-string to complement my main bass.

Re: Trades

While I'm open to outright selling this bass, I'm actually more interested in a trade for a quality 24-fret 4-string.

Here are the following basses I most want to trade for (in order of preference):

1) A Carvin/Kiesel 4-string with 24 frets, 34" scale, and NOT headless (my favorite is the Icon IC4, but I'm cool with most any model Carvin/Kiesel)

2) Japanese-made ESP 4-string with a 34" scale and 24 frets (e.g. the E-II BTL-4)

3) Japanese-made, upper-tier/Prestige Ibanez Soundgear 4-string (I do enjoy playing a well-balanced Soundgear)

4) ESP/LTD FL-600 Frederic Leclercq signature model 4-string (I'm aware that this rare beast is a bit of a pie-in-the-sky GAS want)

5) ESP/LTD BB-1004 Bunny Brunel signature model (I like that it comes stock with a Hipshot Xtender)

6) ESP/LTD B-1004 (be it the 2007-2013 version with EMGs or the 2016-present version with Nordstrands)

7) Schecter SLS Elite or Evil Twin 4 (In my experience, upper-tier Korean-made Schecters seem to punch above their weight class)

8) Premium-level Ibanez Soundgear 4 (Not gonna lie, the uniquely striking finishes on upper-tier Premiums are attention-grabbing)

X) Open to other possibilities. See note below.

NOTE:
    While these are my top trade choices, I'm willing to keep an open mind to other possibilities. If you have something else that meets the following criteria that I may not have considered, then let's talk. The worst I can do is politely say, "Thank you but no thank you." That being said, please be reasonable in your offers. I will not, say, trade a pro-quality Carvin for an entry level Glarry. (I probably don't need to say that here on TalkBass, but better safe than sorry, right?)

I'm basically looking for a good quality, solid body, right-handed, 34" scale, 4-string featuring:
    -24 parallel frets with decent upper-fret access (24 frets is a must-have for me),
    -Preferred weight between 7.7 - 8.8 pounds (about 3.5- 4 kg), but nothing more than 9 pounds/4.1kg
    -Balances such that the neck points to about 2 o'clock when strapped on standing (the majority of my playing is done standing) and first position isn't a miles-away reach outward
    -Stable (preferably multi-laminate) neck that can handle on-a-whim forays into drop-D. (I'd hypothetically mod this with a Hipshot Xtender because I sometimes click into drop-D mid-song)
    -I like a nut width range of 38-42mm (about 1.50" - 1.65") with a slender neck profile (my hands don't get along with chunky "baseball bat" necks).
    -Obviously, it needs to intonate well across the entire fretboard since I play down low ("money notes") and up high in and around the 22nd fret
    -As far as pickups go, I'm cool with P, J, MM, or soapbar shapes; that being said, soapbars are my favorite.
    -I prefer my active basses to have a separate, preferably easy-open, battery compartment
    -NO slab bodies. I need a body with a belly cut and preferably a forearm contour. If there isn't a forearm contour, I can live with rounded or smoothly beveled edges on that part of the bass.
    -NO headless or reverse headstock basses, since I'd hypothetically mod this with a Hipshot Xtender

*If any of your trade offerings already have Dunlop Straplocks and/or a Hipshot Xtender, even better, since that would save me the step of making those mods myself.*

Reiterating disclaimer:

Again, I am not comfortable shipping an instrument, so I would like to do a local/in-person transaction. I live in southern New Jersey, 30-40 minutes from Philadelphia. I would be willing to drive an hour or so to make something good happen (or up to 2 hours within New Jersey; I grew up in north Jersey). All masking and other assorted safety protocols will be abided by.

Please and thank you for looking.

Original listing for this SB5000, in case you want to see it: SOLD - Carvin SB5000

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg 10.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2021 at 4:52 PM
  2. isky

isky Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I used to own this one...
    Killer bass! Wish I kept it. The preamp + barts makes it a tone monster!

lowdownthump and Dincrest like this.
  3. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Updated my trade interests.

Last edited: May 8, 2021 at 4:45 PM
  4. happygilmour

happygilmour Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Wilbraham, MA
    Do you have a cash price in mind?

5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    When you say cash price, do you mean in terms of what I'd hypothetically sell the bass for, or a cash price in terms of trade values?

6. happygilmour

happygilmour Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Wilbraham, MA
    Cash sale price.

7. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Hmm... If I were to sell, my ask would be around $875, though I'm willing to negotiate some.

(I'm considering what I paid for it, the fact that it isn't stock, what other SB5000s have sold for here, etc.)

I've had others message me asking this question as well.

I'm still more interested in a trade, mind.

And, again, I'm looking to do an in-person transaction, since I'm not comfortable shipping an instrument. I live in southern New Jersey, 30-40 minutes from Philadelphia. I would be willing to drive an hour or so to make something good happen (or up to 2 hours within New Jersey; I grew up in north Jersey). All masking and other assorted safety protocols will be abided by.

Please and thank you for all the views, likes, messages, interest, etc.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021