Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trade my Elixirs for ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jazzbassman23, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    I've got a set of Elixirs 100-80-65-45 with about 3 hours of playing time on my fretless, and they are just not my cup of tea. What'ya got to trade? Looking for some flats to try out, but open to anything.

2. Jazzbass, I don't have anything to trade, but I highly recommend Rotosound 77s (I forget the exact
    model #) they're flatwounds. They're mellow, but don't have a clunky sound. I have a set on my Casady. I was going to change them for a set of Pyramids, but then I saw a post here and someone said that they sounded a lot like the Roto 77s, but are a lot more expensive.

Mike J.

3. Tomi

Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    Jazzbassman, actually, I am also going to try Elixirs on my Tune fretless, so could you explain me please, why you didn't like them? Too much fingernoise, etc?
    Thanks.

4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Jazzbassman,

What bass did you use them on? Would be interested if they fit a Fender.

Let me know please at-
    kenduncan@mindspring.com

5. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    LDog, they were on a P/bass so they will fit a Fender.

6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    How much $ do want for them?

7. Jazzbassman,
    I happen to have a set of Fender 9050ML
    The sizes are .050 .065 .085 .100.
    I would love to trade for the Elixers.
    Drop me an email if your interested, we can exchange addresses.
    Forgot to mention....they were on my Rick 4001 for about 12 hrs. Too heavy a gauge for me !
    Tom

8. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Just to let you guys know. Once a string has been installed and tuned up, then you remove it and put it on another bass or whatever you decide to do with it. It will not be the same. It has something to do with the core.
    I dont know exactly what it does but I have heard this from lots of people who know.

Anyway. Just thought that might help since you probably wont be getting an accurate representation of what a brand new set sounds like.

Btw. I use elixers and love them. They dont have the snap of brand new steels but they still sound great and last forever. I dont know why anybody would use anything else,unless they got their strings free. Less finger noise and much smoother than a normal string.

good luck