Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trade my trace?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lymie, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Lymie

Lymie

Jul 25, 2000
    Holland
    Lend me a hand on this please,

Currently i have a 1995 trace elliot ah350smx with a 1048H. My main bass is a warwick infinity 2000ltd. the gigs i'm doing keep getting larger (mainly 500+ "crowds"), and my set is getting pushed to the limit. I don't know if my amp head is loud enough to handle the gigs with an extra speaker, or if i just should buy a more hefty head. I've got two options available:

1. trade in my set for a 1997 600watt trace(2X300 watt stereo), don't know the specific model but it's an gp12. it has two mesa boogie road ready speakers (2X10 and 1X15) which i can also get in the same deal.

2. buy an extra second hand 4X10 or 1X15 or even an 8X10 trace speaker and pump up my heads volume.

need help please :help:

thx

Lymie

2. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Should have posted this a week ago and I would have bought the AH350SMX from you!

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    If you like the tone why not just buy a 2nd cabinet? No need to replace Trace gear, it's good stuff so I'd say one more cabinet depending on how many ohms that amp can pull and how many your 1048 is.

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I would add a second cab. Currently you are only running the amp at 8 ohms so your using only about 200 watts. I would add another 410 (several Trace 410's on Ebay right now) or maybe a 8 ohm (Avatar?) 212.

That AH600SMX head would be nice but with a 210 and 115 won't be much better (volume wise) IMO than what you already have. That is ofcourse if they are 8 ohm cabs.

5. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Nobody knows for sure what is actually going on with Trace at the moment. Could be a awhile before we see any of the products on the new site if ever.

7. definatly add more trace speakers! :)

mmmm!

8. Lymie

Lymie

Jul 25, 2000
    Holland
    Or should i trade my head for the 600 smx, keep my 4X10 and go for another 4X10 (will it give me enough bottom end as compared to an extra 1X15)? I like punch (loads of it) and don't like the muddy 15" sound. Then again, i never played a 15" Trace, so i don't know the sound.
    as for the head, i'm not sure if the 1997 600smx is as good as my 1995 350 smx, i heard a lot of stories of crappy trace stuff in the later years. the 600smx has never been played, the shop bought it in 1997 and never sold it, now it's for sale for 900 Euros. I could trade my head, some other stuf and pay like 400/500 Euros. but do i need the extra 250 watts?
    The Trace Elliot sound in general is one of the best sounds i ever had. Warwick and Trace IMO is a good marriage. I played through various amps in clubs (SWR, Eden, Ampeg), but i think Trace has the meanest sound of them all. It just cuts through anything, with a nice grrrr.... If the new
    Traces are as good as the old ones, that's what i'm gonna stick to in the future.

9. since you love the TE sound, I'd stick with trace to start off with.
    Adding a another cab - 4x10 would seem to suit you best in this case - would work fine and give you PLENTY more volume with your current AH350.

IN the past I've gigged with a AH250, 4x10 and a 1x15 - I'm telling you, I overpowered a half stack and a louder drummer.

Trading your AH350 and paying a little more for the AH600 sounds like an OK deal imo, maybe you are overspending a little. You could couple the mesa speaker with your 4x10 until you could afford another 4x10, OR obtain the mesa speakers and sell them off?

Would you be allowed to rent the amp from the store, and try it out at a gig, and get a hold of another 4x10 or 15? See how it copes. Sounds like the best idea to me...
    Personally I think creating a stack of trace with the 350 will indeed give you plenty more power. Your trace is also 350 RMS, with around 580-600 PK! There's guts in there I tells you!!! :)

10. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I agree. My Corvette FNA purrs. As far as your amp goes I reckon just get another 4x10", you'll then be using your head to its full potential, and I am sure there would be plenty of volume there. A 1x15" wouldn't muddy up your sound too much either, you'd still have the 4x10" for punch, but the 15" would just give it some more balls. I think it would probably sound quite a bit louder!

11. Lymie

Lymie

Jul 25, 2000
    Holland
    lol

just saw an advert on a dutch site. a guy is selling his green giant 8X10. i threw out a bid, but i think my band and my back won't be pleased with a monster like this.
    I think i'll stick with my current setup and buy another cabinet, lots of them on sale in holland. Any of u guys played a new 2005 Trace yet? I'm dying to find out the sound of those.

12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    The new trace gear just appeared on their site last week. After rumors of gibson ending the brand. No prices, specs, or any other info on 2005 Trace gear has been released yet...as far as i know. But I'm very curious whats up with it...guess we'll just have to wait and see.