Trade off watts for quality?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Supernova67, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    I got like $550 saved up and i came upon the decision that a new amp would help out my sound alot more than a new bass would. Currently i have a crappy little behringer 120W combo amp, and i stumbled across a Ampeg B100R 100w combo amp that i really liked. so i was wondering if i should trade off the extra 20W for a much better quality and in my opinion sounding amp (at low-medium volumes at least. didnt really get a chance to crank it). Also would i, and the crowd, really even notice the difference in volume?
  2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    With that budget I would suggest and the MAG-300 or Hartke deals, probably with a 2x12 cabinet. Excellent quality and plenty of output volume-wise.
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Nobody will notice 20W live. If you like the Ampeg's tone better then it is a no brainer.

I assume you are looking for a vintage tone. If so, I agree with chaosMK, you should give the Ashdown a try if you can. Great vintage tone, but very coloured, so make sure you try it first.
  4. +2

You would get more for your money with the Avatar/Ashdown deal. I own a B100R and although it is a great sounding combo, it cannot play more than a small gig, unless you don't play real loud or have it mic'ed.

The Ashdown is 300 watts and paired with the single 15" or 2x12's it would be a great expandable rig with a balanced out that the B100R does not have.

Then again the B100Rocket does have a nice vibe and is great for jamming and very portable with the optional wheels.
  5. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    +1000 for the avatar cabs.
    Along with a hartke head or ashdown head that Dave sells along with his cabs.
  6. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Or instead of the 300H, you could sell your Behringer and maybe something decent that you don't use, and get the 600R instead. That's my plan, at least. :)
  7. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Why don't you get a used amp/combo. You'll save a lot of money and you will more for your money.
  8. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I know you liked the Ampeg.. But the audience/you my notice the difference in volume if your playing loud, just for the reason that (IMO) Ampeg's get lost in the mix easily and can't cut through..
    If i'm ever using an Ampeg backline, I can NEVER hear myself on stage, even when practically standing next to the thing.

I suggest the Ashdown/Avatar deal.
  9. Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    I had already considered the avatar/ashdown setup, and while it looked like a great deal, unless i wait for another holiday or for someone to just give me more money(14 and no job), i really cant go much beyond $550.Not to mention for what i usually play i really doubt i'd need anything beyond a good combo. Also it's would be just that much more convienant for me when i wanna take my stuff to a friends house, or drag my gear to school. So if any of you know of anything drastically better i could get for the money that would fit my situation, please dont hesitate to mention it
  10. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    The Crate (BX220?) will kill the Ampeg for less money. Check them out.
    The Avatar cab with a separate head is definitely the best way to go in that range though.
  11. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I couldn't disagree more. All of the Crates I've heard have been horrible. I do believe Crate and Ampeg are both divisions of St. Louis Music.
  12. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    That's why I think it sounds so good. I have a 220 as my practice amp. It's quiet, has EQ, chorus, effect inputs etc. 160 watts rms, but with the extension cab - 220. It gets loud and stays clean. I'm happy with mine.
  13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Are you sure that 100–120 watts will be enough? Unless you're playing (mostly) acoustic music or in small rooms, you'll need super-sensitive loudspeakers to get a strong enough volume.