Trade opportunity (Eden users question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Konquest, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    I have the opportunity to trade in my as new SWR 350x plus a little cash towards a lightly used but clean Eden power/pre set up. I know this is a huge step up in wattage and tone shaping features but is it too much? What are people's experience with the Navigator preamp/WT1000 power amp? I have heard good things about the versatility of the pre but not too many good comments about the Eden power amps. I know it runs bridged at 1000W at 4ohms. Is this too much for my single Aggie GS212? I do not want to buy another cab anytime soon, nor can I afford it, so I was curious if people think this rig would be overkill for a single 2x12 cab rated at 600W @ 4ohm? The other issue is reliability. Buying used, you know, "Caveat Emptor" but if I needed warrranty repairs I'd have to send it somewhere or drive an hour since the local place is not an authorized dealer (although they are an authorized repair center for SWR, and they tell me they could easily fix Eden stuff for a price). Just looking for the inside scoop on this rig...please don't just tell me to "do a search." I was up late last night doing that. Any advice would be appreciated!
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I don't use the WT power amp, but I've used the Navigator pre for the past 5 years or so. Bought it used (1996 model per the rear panel), never had a problem with it. I run mine through a QSC PLX 3002, running 1500 watts into one 700 watt rated Aguilar 410, and no problems, though I usually use two 410 cabs, one on each channel (900 watts to one, 1500 to the other). I don't think you'll have ANY problems running 1000 watts to your 212, just watch for clipping.

I think you'll find the tone shaping on the Nav to be very, very powerful, a little goes a LONG way, I've never seen anyone with settings more than just a tad off of 12:00 on any of the parametric controls. Start tweaking your tone by setting everything straight up at noon, I doubt you'll need more.

Best of luck!
  3. Do it! I've had SWR and Eden amps (lower end ones admittedly) and I find that with the SWR ST-220 I have now, I'm still a little shy of the tone I want, even with the 4 band parametric. With the WT400 I used to have, I liked it pretty much straight out of the box. I don't know how different the tone controls are set up or what other features are on the navigator, but you can't go wrong with it unless you like a really clean, dry tone.

No, to much power is easier to deal with than not enough. Just turn it down. Like Eric said, just watch for clipping. You can always change the amp out if you want or need more or less power.

Since it's not under warranty, I wouldn't be concerned about taking it to the local place. It's a matter of how good they are, not who endorses them. I doubt very much if there would be a price difference.

FWIW my Eden was a '96 and worked like a champ. Just needed a new tube when I got it.

Stay low
  4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I had a WT-1000 and it was fantastic. It seems to have a little bit of tone-shaping built into it, it sounds fatter and warmer than most solid state power amps. I've got a QSC PLX1602 now, and the WT-1000 was just as good, with a slightly different sound.

I only sold it because I was moving to hawaii and didn't want to ship it, and didn't buy another one when I returned becuase they are too deep for most rack cases.

You can always just run one channel of the amp into your cab, it will still have more punch than the SWR.
  5. buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I've played SWR & Edens a lot. I would take Eden over SWR EVERY TIME!! ...but thats my taste, it has to be what you like, and how you play. As for the power issue with your cab. I looked up the amp & it shows being able to play it bridged to 4 or 8 ohms. That is unusual, most of the Edens bigger amps bridge to 8 ohms only, so you are good to go.... just let your ears tell you when its time to NOT turn up any more!!

Good luck!!
  6. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    Mike Watt toured VERY heavily with that pre / power combo for years and only replaced it when the preamp finally crapped out. He was freakin' loud :)

I'm definitely in the prefer-eden-to-swr-tone crowd. That said, I've downsized to an AI Clarus and will be selling my old reliable WT300 soon.
  7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thats why I chose the WT-1000 and a pre over the WT-800 ... I bridged it onto eden 210XLT and 115XLT 8 ohm cabs (4 ohms total) ... it sounded huge.