Trade value expectations at Big Box Stores

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by comatosedragon, Sep 17, 2021.

1. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Gold Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Rockingham VA {616}
    Closest music stores to me are about 3 hours away, a Sam Ash and a Musicians Friend. (We had a local Mom & Pop, but that was lost in an explosion almost exactly 1 year ago).

I plan on bringing 2 basses for trade, each purchased new this year at around $1K each. (I am looking for a 4 string fretless.)

Are my expectations too high that I should be able to trade my two basses (~$2K new) towards a model of around $1000 or so (assuming I find something I like)?

Never traded a bass at a store before, so thanks for your replies!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Just wanted to say I think I remember hearing about that explosion! If it's where I think it is, I went to school there.

Anyway, you are far better off selling the basses yourself. Whatever their reasonable market value is they might only offer you half of that. Then you add time and gas money... ugh

3. comatosedragon

Oct 12, 2014
    Rockingham VA {616}
    The explosion was in Harrisonburg Virginia (caused by a gas leak)

DJ Bebop and ModuMan like this.
  4. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Yep, thought that was it! At the time I heard about it I don't know if the cause was determined but good to know. What was the store? I remember a couple but that was a while ago.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. comatosedragon

Oct 12, 2014
    Rockingham VA {616}
    The store that exploded was called hometown Music

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    ModuMan and DJ Bebop like this.
  6. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Yes I think that should be doable
    especially if they are a fairly easy sell through (brand, model wise) as stated above you would probably do better selling them here or on reverb, offer-up ect. Make them an easy sell at $700-$800 and pocket few bucks...

Philip McAdam and comatosedragon like this.
  7. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I have no experience with that store, but quite some generaly. Stores need to put price that can move item relatively quickly AND make a profit, and to get that price they need to aquire item for trifle. Alse, they make profit twice in a trade.
    If you are in a hurry and the item they offer as trade works for you, go for it.
    But it's always better to sell your guitars for cash, even for trifle, and than go and haggle with that store. When you come with cash in hand, you can get MUCH better deal.

8. rpt50

rpt50

Jan 10, 2021
    You will be shocked and appalled at what you are offered for your existing instruments.

JKos, NigelD, BassBlue and 35 others like this.
  9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    If you can sell them yourself, trading is like throwing money away.

Beej, picnic01, edencab and 14 others like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah it won't be pretty.

What two basses are we talking about?

11. comatosedragon

Oct 12, 2014
    Rockingham VA {616}
    Reverend Raymond and an Ibanez SRF705

FatDaddySam likes this.
  12. comatosedragon

Oct 12, 2014
    Rockingham VA {616}
    But I just looked at the online inventory of both of those stores. They suck, and I wont be going!

13. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    In my experience the stores will look at the most recent sales (not asking prices) of instruments like yours and offer you 60%. You need to determine if this convenience is worth accepting the discounted price

14. Yummy Notes

Yummy Notes

Dec 20, 2019
    Similar to @One Way, I tried at a big box store once (for drum equip.) and watched the sales clerk look up the item online, show me the going rate, and then offer 50%. The sales clerk explained that that's how they make their offers because they would likely price it at the going rate. I said no thanks and later established a Reverb account.

One Way likes this.
  15. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Here’s the thing with any trade in at any store. They need to make enough money off taking in your instrument to justify buying it. Generally they will offer you 40-60% of what they plan to sell it for.

so, if it’s a $1,000 bass new, let’s just say the bass usually goes for $800 used. 60% of 800 is $480 and that’s the ballpark offer you’d get if the instrument was in excellent shape.

If you want to get an idea of what to expect, go on Reverb and look up your basses used. Add up the total and figure out what 40% of that is. That’s the lowest figure you should be prepared to accept. Is that worth it? Maybe.

You’ll get to offload the gear quickly and painlessly while also helping out a brick and mortar music store (even if it’s GC). The downside is you could make more of a profit selling privately but you have to have the patience to deal with people and waiting for the bites to come in.

I’ve done both and haven’t regretted it either way.

16. comatosedragon

Oct 12, 2014
    Rockingham VA {616}
    Thanks everyone, for talking me down from making a (possibly) foolish move ....

17. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Some stores may offer 15% off a new purchase if you have a trade in. It won't be enough to offset the loss, but 15% plus the convenience of not having to deal with buyers yourself is often worth it to me.

ajkula66, Riff Ranger, pcake and 4 others like this.
  18. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    If the basses have any upgrades, keep in mind that they won't factor those in to the offer. I took a mint condition G&L with upgrades to a GC last year to see if they'd be interested in buying it outright, and the rep flat out told me they didn't care about upgrades. Crazy, but I get it. The average customer looking at it on the wall won't notice and likely won't care. And yes, their offer was less than half of its market used value.

I ended up selling it here on TB for exactly what I wanted for it.

19. Thumper02

Thumper02

Apr 21, 2021
    Dallas, TX
    Curious, is it the Raymond in the blue color?

20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Those stores want big names - Fender, Gibson, etc. Easier to sell to their clientele. Better to sell local or TB classified.

smogg and comatosedragon like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021