Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traded a 'Ray 5 for a Zon 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Feb 24, 2003.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My good luck streak seems to be holding. ;) Just obtained the pictured Legacy Standard 6 for a 'Ray 5 with piezo bridge and a small smidgen of cash. Very righteous deal with a fine fellow over at The Pit called cheezewhiz.

Just got it today but initial plug-in offers sonic evidence that is rather monstro! Mercy, gonna look forward to checking this one out. I'm exclusively gigging sevens these days but I'll always move a five for a sweet sixer! :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Looks like we both scored man!

Looks great, I dig. :)

3. Wow...talk about a deal!

Me likey.

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    WOW! Nice pretty bass!! We both scored a Legacy!! :D :D :D

Brad Johnson has a Legacy Standard as well.. he should be posting about now

DM

5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Nice score, boogiebass. Congrats!

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, guys!

Guess it's just a Legacy kinda month, DM. ;)

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You came out on top of that deal, bb.

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    ooooo....me likey!

*looks at strings at headstock*.....oooooo....pretty colors.......

I've noticed the sonuses (soni?) are a bit more popular than the legacys, good to see a bit of a change.

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Way sweet, Boogie. I'm liking that a whole lot.

I really like the top. What wood is it? And how is the weight?

Send some of your luck my way, please.:D

10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    congrats boog.

sweetheart of a deal.

i have my eyes on an L...we'll see.

f

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Boogie got a great bass...I should know..he got it from me! Im not sure what the body wood is, but it has a beautiful quilted maple top. The weight is one drawback to the bass. Not sure what it weighs, but it is HEAVY. Even though the posts on this thread seem to indicate Carl got the "best" of the deal, I feel it was a great trade for both of us.
    I got an almost new Ray, some cash, a few sets of strings, a hardshell, and a gig bag. Carl got the bass (about 7 yrs old) and a gig. The Zon fits his style better..the Ray fits mine better. I'm a happy camper, and Im glad Boogie is too.....

12. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    damn..

My Legacy is a 4 string, Mahogany Body, AAAAA Quilt Top... weighs... 7lbs?? very light fella

DM

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, a good win/win deal. Thanx, Cheeze! The 'Ray 5 he got was, indeed, sweet. The Zon is a bit heavy but actually not much more than my Modulus Quantum 6. Well-balanced, too. This one looks like solid quilted maple, doesn't appear to be a lam top.

14. I'm pretty sure those Legacy Standards came with a solid figured maple body (no laminate top) as an option--that'd explain why it's so heavy.

Mike

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yes, Joe Z did offer the solid quilt maple body as an option for a while on the Legacy Standard, and it did make the bass a bit heavy.

A friend of mine has a one-of-a-kind Legacy Standard with a ONE PIECE (not bookmatched, a SINGLE piece) quilt maple body, finished with a transparent purple and a custom extended cutaway. Amazing bass, but yes a bit heavy. Unfortunately, I can't find a good pic of it anywhere...

:(

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    It also appears to have made the tone a bit "heavy," too. ;) Killer sounding bass.

17. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

Zon's really do sound and play awesome. I'm ready for another.

Good deal for both of you guys....

18. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Solid quilt maple? It sure looks purty.

You know, I can't ever recall picking up a Ray that felt light. They always seemed to tip the scales at well over 10 pounds. Maybe that's because the only ones I've seen have been at GC.

Do you find that the string spacing, on the Zon, is similar to the S-Ray?

19. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    The Zon 5 i had had a spacing around where a Modulus Q5 would have.. around 17mm.. pretty comfy!

DM

20. I'd say you did good on that deal, Boogie. :)

What strings are those, DiMarzios? I had a set of those on my Musician a few years back. I remember the multi-colored end windings.

Mike