Traded for a F'd up bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Jun 26, 2002.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I just traded this dude I know about $50 worth of... well, whatever, for a bass. It is a real pile that is like a Jazz and had a real 70's Fender J neck on it. The problem is, the guy who first had it defretted it (it's a block inlay maple neck!) and shaved like 1/4" off of each side of the neck, making it look, play and feel S#!TTY!

The body is natural finished, but really horrible wood. What I've decided to do is make this my project bass, for practicing repairs and such. I replaced the neck with an old one (warmoth? chandler?) that has an ebony board. I want to defret it and was wondering what the best way to do that. If anyone knows, please clue me in.

Also, I'm using parts I had lying around to juice it up. I put a single MEC J pickup in the bridge, none in the neck (I'm putting the battery there). I have an EMG BTC that was lying around that I put in. This is going to be my "Jaco on crack" bass.

Any suggestions about defretting, finishing the fingerboard are much appreciated, as well as odd things to do to this puppy.
  2. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Stewart MacDonald sells special pliers for pulling frets. Dancehallclasher recently defretted one of his basses and found similar pliers at his local hardware store, iirc.

You might also want to heat the frets with a soldering iron before you pull them.

Btw, I love your sig quote!! I have total cognizance of every synapse in my cerebral cortex. I must ingest more of the ovoid capsules! :D That's my favorite Sealab episode...
  3. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I pulled the frets!!! I heard somewhere that nail clippers would work. Well, I tried it and they did. I f'd up a few spots, but nothing a little filler wouldn't fix. Which brings me to the next question... is there a good filler for ebony and where can I find it?

I played it without anything on the board, no filler, no inlays, and it's really sweet. I just need to finish it off, sand it a bit and lower the nut. It's the best $50 I've spent in a long time.

2021 is the greatest!!!
  4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i'll take that there neck off yer hands lol
  5. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If you really want it, I'd happily send it. All I'd ask is the shipping charge. It's a really f'd up neck, but it would play if fretted. It's got the original tuner shaft and body, but a new (cheap) set of gears, rotor and bushing.

BTW, I played the bass at practice tonight and it sounded great... especially since I haven't played fretless in almost 4 years.