1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traded Jazz Bass that was a gift, Wife mad! Evaluate the trade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lumpy_Bass, Oct 12, 2010.

1. What's up TB,

I recently joined another band and I am already sick of carrying half my rig to rehearsal each week so I decided to start looking for another cab I could just leave there.

Today I traded my 2008 MIM Fender Jazz(all stock except for a 3ply pearloid guard) and a gig bag for a new in box German made Warwick Pro 1X15 and a somewhat blemished but great playing and sounding 1991 USA made Peavey Fury.

I call my wife after I made the deal thinking she'd be happy that I was able to fulfill my gear needs with only having to spend $15 for a Neutrik Speakon adapter for the cab. NOT QUITE......technically it was a fathers day gift last year:eek: I had no idea she was that attached to it!

So I come to you TB, what are your thoughts on this trade?

Thanks for reading, any and all input is appreciated

2. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    If it was a gift from your wife, i think you should have kept it. A gift is a gift is a gift

3. CactusBass

CactusBass

Aug 2, 2009
    You ****ed up.

4. Mr wiggl3s

Mr wiggl3s Inactive

Feb 27, 2009
    Bismarck
    This man.

5. Cosmo420

Cosmo420

Sep 10, 2010
    Roanoke, VA
    Oh Lumpy... you need to learn the rules:

1. If the wife isn't happy, nobody is happy.

2. ALWAYS talk stuff over with your wife before you do it.

3. You will never be right. Learn to live with it.

Once you get those down, your life will go a lot smoother...

6. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yea, I think you're in the dog house until you make amends. NEVER get rid of a fathers day gift...did it once myself...

7. You guys are not helping me here!

8. macribas

macribas

Jan 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I have a guitar that I don't play, but it was a Xmas gift from my wife in 2006. It's a very expensive guitar and she saved all the money she made as a baby sitter during that year to give me that present. I won't ever sell it or trade it. Sorry if it makes you feel worse.

9. Yup...how would you feel if you bought your wife a diamond necklace and she hawked it a year later for something else..I feel for ya but you're in the dawghouse!

10. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    You dont deserve help. Repent! :)

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Ouch man...you traded away a gift your wife got you? That's harsh. I'd be coming home with some flowers, maybe some jewelery and a great big apology.

As far as the trade goes, you got a good deal money-wise IMO. But you hurt your wife's feelings...can't put a dollar on that, my friend.

12. My wife never gets me cool gifts like a bass, but, if she did, I would surely keep it. Sorry.

13. Should I remind her that I sold a rig to pay part of her engagement ring years ago:D

14. I actually went to the store and bought it, with her approval of course.

But it wasn't like she went totally on her own and completely blew me away. Does that make it any better?

And seriously, what about the trade?

15. joshwilkesbooth

joshwilkesbooth

Jul 17, 2009
    Nah, that'll make things worse.

You blew it! Fortunately she'll forget about it eventually. Maybe...

16. Definitely not!

:eek:

17. Ya done goofed.

18. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    +1

19. Cosmo420

Cosmo420

Sep 10, 2010
    Roanoke, VA
    Have you learned nothing? What happened in the past is not relevant to the present. The one exception is when you and the wife are arguing. At that point she is allowed to bring up any dead issue from the past. You, however, are not.

20. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    +1million

btw, if your wife is mad either way that's not a good deal.. :spit:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021