Traded my fanciest bass for a . . . Fender 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Call me crazy. I've gone through every high-end, active soapbars-and-fancy-woods bass around -- Modulus, Acacia, Brubaker, Pedulla, etc -- and just sold off my fave of them all for a passive Fender 5-string Jazz.

The bass I traded was a Tune Kingbass 5, and I spent a couple of years searching for one. It had a fancy 3-band EQ with a special midrange notch filter in the control cavity. 5-piece neck. Carved exotic multi-lam body. Amazing proprietary soapbar pickups. I paid $700 used for it, and felt I was getting a superb deal.

And I picked up this used Fender at Guitar Villa (the local high-end store) on a whim, and LOVED it. I've played tons of really sucky Fender 5's, but for some reason this one has a truly tight B string, and the other 4 strings sound like a great 4-string Jazz.

I was all ready to trade in my other 5'er, a gorgeous transparent red over ash Fender USA Jazz Deluxe with a maple board, for this Jazz.

Then I brought the Tune to the store and A/B'ed it with the passive Fender, and the Fender just sounded more . . . right. Thinner and less hi-fi, to be sure, but I think I've just never really liked the thick, hi-fi sound of the active-dual-soapbars type o'bass. Judging from my long line of bass trading these past few years, I was a slow learner, though!

Now I have $700 invested in what should have been a $550 or $600 bass, and I'm happy about it.

Now tell me how nutty I am.
  2. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    Can't see any reason for you to feel bad now. How important are 100-200$, when you've found an instrument that stimulates your mind, not only your eyes and wallet? I wouldn't mind, seems like you payed as much as it was worth for yourself!

3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Well said Tightanic. What matters is the music you're creating, not the label on the bass or the price. :)
  4. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    I traded my MiM Fender stu hamm for a 5 string Squier P bass special... it just sounded better... I decided to get rid of the fender after buying a cheap music man copy that sounded so much better... and now I'm pretty happy with my choice
  5. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I'm going thru the same thing JS. I've owned what seems like every high end active super bass on the planet and am right on the edge of going back to passive. It just sounds better to me. After years of screwing around I found out by accident that passive, less hifi and organic may be the tone for me. I don't understand it but I'm just gonna roll with it. Congrats. I hope I get the same results you did.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nothing to feel bad about. I prefer my Essex over my Hohner, which costs 3-4 times as much.
  7. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hey I traded my warwick Thumb bolt on for a passive MIA Fender V. Of course it had a J retro installed. Then I went out and traded my Ibanez Sr885 for a passive MIA Jazz V. Love 'em both. IMO that floppy B string myth is just that, A myth.
  8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Same thing here, I owned some of the best active bass out there, Sadowsky, F, Ken Lawrence, ect...
    And I sold everything and I am waiting my Joe Osborn 5. With my P bass I will have my first all passive rig in the last 15 years!!

I just realized, after about 16 or 17 years of playing that I don't slap and I don't need (or want!) that hi fi tone anymore. Like you said, a big round organic tone is the way to go for me now!!
  9. After playing 6 years ;) I'm kidding.

I'm 18, and should like that modern, hi-fi tone, but I don't. I like the old school, tubey, big 2x15 sound! I also dig single coils more than humbuckers...well the Sting Ray 'bucker is about the only exception.

As for selling modern gear, I'm selling my Modulus Q6, which just sounded choice but the neck was too flat for me (I also dig the vintage feel too!), and I'm selling my Marcus Miller Jazz bass (which has the vintage look and feel, but a more modern sound; I'm just selling it because I don't use it anymore...great bass though) and I'm selling my Ampeg 2x10 cab. I might pick up another 1x15 or else a 2x12...maybe an Avatar 2x10, just for portability...maybe a 1x12.

But I'm going to try to track down a Warwick FNA 5 so I have a 5-er and a bass with 24 frets...and a completely different sound from my P-Bass and my fretless SX Jazz. I'm gonna try to buy a J-Retro for my SX too. Then I should be set. :cool:

edit: don't feel bad! I prefer my MIM P-bass to nearly every bass I've played. And I bought it used on eBay!!! :eek: It just feels and plays like a BASS my opinion.
  10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Exactly. I love my MIM P and my recently acquired Godin Freeway 4. Both are excellent passive basses and are the sound for me. I had gone to active and while I liked it, it wasn't until I had picked up a passive Yamaha that I realized that I loved the sound of the passive bass.

Never feel bad for going to what moves you.

Dan :bassist: