Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traded my Guitar Amp...did i get screwed?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by a e i o u, Nov 1, 2005.

1. I was asked to trade my Marshall AV-50h amp for his Fender DualShowmaster(newer one) I was excited because I always wanted an all tube amp but never had the chance at one. Well now that I have the amp I found that is is WAY WAY WAY louder than my marshall but then again the tone pretty much sucks. There is nothing I like about the tone. Ive tried tweaking the treb mid bass and presence all different practical ways but to no avail. I was always under the impression that tube amps are supposed to sound amazing. He told me that the amp works best with a distortion pedal. If I got a good distortion pedal then what would be the point of having the tubes in it except for loudness and extreme heaviness? Can anyone give me some input?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You may need to try some different tubes. As far as as using a distortion pedal with a tube amp? Yuck. Our tastes could just be different though. I'm of the opinion that the solid state Marshalls sound like ass. Also, check your info. The Showmaster is a guitar.
    Perhaps double check and post which amp you mean for sure.
    The AVT50 goes for about $500 new.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, you got the shaft in the deal. I base my opinion solely on your comment above.

-Mike

4. If you wanted distortion, then you would have gotten a high gain amp. Fenders have never been known for scorching distortion. You probably have to crank the heck out of it, to get some overdrive.

Well maybe you can trade it for something better than you had before, since its newer and all tube.

Try Mesa, VHT, Soldano,