1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tradin' in my Geddy Lee jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spinal Tapper, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Since I bought a P bass recently, I haven't been able to get my hands re-adjusted to the tiny neck on the Geddy. I find myself pulling the strings off the side of the fretboard on the E string with my left hand quite often during rehearsal.

Although I love the tone and everything about the way it looks, I feel as though my hands have moved on, and it's a pretty heavy bass on top of that. My new P bass weighs right in around 8.5 lbs. The Geddy has to be close to 11 or 12.

So...

The question is...what should I trade it for? I'm thinking of another Jazz bass, either Fender or similar. Something of similar value, I don't want to have to spend too much extra money on trade...I love those 62 Reissue Jazzes, especially the stack knob ones, but the MIA's run around $1k. Did they ever make a stack knob CIJ Reissue?

Let me know what you guys think - I'm open to ideas :)

2. I played a Classic 70's Fender and really liked it, but it may be too similar to the Geddy.
    You might look at something completely different.
    EMG pickups, Humbucker, etc.
    Good luck and happy hunting.

S.

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have a Geddy and I love it, but there are times I admit that I would like more tonal options at my disposal. So, that may mean I am in your situation some time in the near future...and the bass I was looking at was a G&L L2000 (or maybe even an L2500). Maybe you should check one out?

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Wanna swap necks??

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm gonna try and trade this one straight up. We all know the neck is the most coveted part of this bass...:ninja:

6. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    As opposed to trading the Geddy, I'd look to selling it. It's a popular bass and my guess you should be able to fetch a fair price.

When it comes to your next bass, be a bit picky and find one that really speaks to you.

Best Wishes,
    Bones

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Are those MIM? They're right around the same price...

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think I'd go for someting different. Maybe active, or fretless. I'd like another bass, something different from my active, more 'modern" sounding 5'er. I'm thinking fretless or maybe a good old P bass - although I always seem to sell 4's and go back to my 5'er.

Good luck.

9. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

Yes, the Classic 70's Jazz bass is MIM. The neck and the sound would not be a heck of a lot different than what you'd be giving up with the Geddy bass. Why don't you just sell the Geddy outright and sit on the dough for awhile and go out and play everything that suits your fancy 'till you find something you really like. You already have your P-bass so it's not like you need something right away. Just sayin'... :D )-(

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Yeah, that's a good point. I might just try selling it outright...unless something great comes along.

11. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I am a jazz fan (I own 3), but my number one bass is a Lakland 55-94. It has a J/MM pup config which w/ coil splitting, can do a J sound. The 4 string import model (44-02) can be had for less than a new Geddy costs if you get it used. I would check the sound clips at the Lakland site if I were you.

I've also played the Geddy at GC and found the neck too skinny, standard Jazzes feel great though.

12. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
  13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Hmmm, yea, those are pretty nice...what do we know about the prices on a Fender 70's Jazz Reissue (CIJ)?

14. Are you sure you Geddy weighs 11-12 lbs? I've got a '08' MIA Fender Jazz V that weighs 9.7 lbs. If so, I didn't know they weighed so much.

Also, if you can swing the little extra to get a MIA Jazz, I'm telling you from experience, it's a killer bass.;)

15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Yeah, I'll be looking into those for sure! I swear I think the Geddy weighs that much! It's NOT a light bass - I didn't realize until I got my 62 RI P bass recently. Obviously the neck on the Geddy is light because it's so thin, but the body weighs a TON! LOL

16. akane2

akane2

Sep 28, 2008
    hey guys do you know if the geddy has a good/decent slap tone?

17. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    The bass should go quick, considering Fender almighty just raised it's price.

18. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    Getting rid of the Geddy?

Yer gonna be sorry..................