Trading a Carvin for a Epiphone. *HELP~*

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Oct 11, 2000.

1. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Hey.. I put up a post on for my Carvin LB20 4 String Fretless(2 Months old) on sale.. and I post that I wanted to trade it for a 5 String or 6 STring bass.. and this guy e-mailed me saying he would trade his Alvarez Villain 5 or a Epiphone El Capitan 5.. Which one should I go for? Should I go for any of them? he sent me the pics.. they look like they look in great condition. I hear that the El Capitan 5 is a nice acoustic/electric bass.. any opinions?! I wanna own a 5 stringer -=) Since no one would trade me their 6 string most likely :(

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If it were me, I wouldn't trade a Carvin for either of those, but it's not me, so I'll tell you what I know about them.

The Alvarez Villian is somewhere between a Dean and a Washburn(probably made in the same Korean factory), the tone is not as good as a Dean though.

The Epiphone El Capitan is a decent, large bodied 5 string Acoustic Bass Guitar, they are around $900 street value new.
  3. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    The El Capitan is probably a similar value. (but, do you want an acoustic bass?). Don't even consider the Alverez. They're worth about $99 used.
  4. Are you daft????

Don't do it. With the most notable exception of the Jack Casady Signature Epi, their entire line seems to suffer from an extreme lack of consistency and quality control.

My 5 and 6 string Carvins will be cremated with me when my time comes, as will my JC Signature, Fenders, Gibson Firebird and RD Artist, Rob Allen and all the others.

Don't do it!

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    DM, I'd rather be caught with a 4 string Carvin than with a 5 - string Epi or Alvarez any day. The extra string won't make you a better musician. Keep your Carvin. you have a good instrument.

Will C.:cool: