1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

trading ampege b2r for trace elliot ah250

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jjhardy, Feb 16, 2008.

1. jjhardy

jjhardy

Mar 11, 2007
    i saw a trace elliot ah 250 head for $200, and am considering getting it to replace my ampeg b2r (the old 350 version) because it seems to me that the trace elliot can get up to 500w. is this done by running it through 2 cabs? also, hows the tone? this is only a secondary consideration though, cause when i play punk/metal ill probably just bypass the preamp with my Sansamp BDDI.

2. The ampeg is 350 watts at 4 ohms.

The TE is 250 watts at 4 ohms.

Im not sure if the TE can go to 500 watts (presumably if it can, it would be at 2 ohms).

If you are using a seperate preamp, i dont see the point in the change over. Unless the TE does go to 2 ohms, and you happen to have two 4ohm cabs?

Otherwise, the ampeg will have more power (but granted, 100 watts isnt going to make much difference at all)

3. jjhardy

jjhardy

Mar 11, 2007
    i saw a photo of the back of the trace elliot where it seemed to say "500w mono"

4. Im waiting for someone else to chime in about this, just because i honestly dont know.

What Ive read was 250 watt RMS (4 ohms), and its 500 watts peak.

If that is the case, you'd be getting more power from your ampeg. And even if not, your only going to get ~1 to 2 dB more with 500 watts as opposed to 350 watts.

5. jjhardy

jjhardy

Mar 11, 2007
    i just wonder what they mean by 500 peak

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Peak means that this is what the amp will/could do for a very brief moment. It is a "peak" and nothing more. RMS is what you are after. That is continous power that you will always get.

Trace seemed to underate their amps or something because I have heard Trace 200-250 watt heads sound easily as loud as amps rated at twice their size. I doubt you would lose any volume and possibly gain some. Not much either way though.

Trace has a much different tone than any Ampeg. i suggest you try the Trace head with your cab and see what you think. That's the only way to know if you will like it it or not. good luck.

7. Just another thought, if your wanting more power, and will probably just be using your BDDI, why not just buy a power amp? Could probably get quite a bit more power for the price.

8. jjhardy

jjhardy

Mar 11, 2007
    i have looked a bit into poweramps, but it seems like the only ones i can find offer obscene amounts of watts (that i'll never need) for more than i'm willing to pay.

also, speaking of what the guy earlier said about peaking, i bought a fender 1x15 cab that is 150w continuous, 300 peak. the guy at the store i bought it from told me that means that it'll reach 150 before it really gets warmed up, and can push around 300 watts. i'll be pretty mad if he pulled a fast one on me.

9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    I don't know if he pulled a fast one. An idiot is often unaware of the fact that he is an idiot when repeating garbage.

What he should have said is that the cab can safely dissipate 150 watts for extended periods of time and take sudden peaks of up to 300 watts. I wouldn't push 300 watts into that cab for long periods of time. The speaker is not designed to to that.

But I very well may be one of those idiots.

10. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Are you looking for more power or more volume?

The guy at the store probably wasn't trying to pull a fast one on you. Just mis-educated. I try to explain this every chance I get because it wasn't explained to me until I had already fried an amp and cabinet long time ago. Power ratings are just a measure of how much work an amp will do on a speaker(s). Your amp has ZERO volume by itself (don't believe me? Go unplug your cabinet and try it LOL). Your cabinets are what gives you volume - size, efficiency, and number of speakers among other factors are gonna tell ya how loud it is. Right now I'm running an Avatar B410 Neo AND an Aguilar GS212 from a Mackie 1400 watt power amp. Despite only being rated for 600 watts and having fewer speakers, the Aguilar is WAY louder than the 1000 watt Avatar.

I get the feeling like I'm starting to ramble but basically what I'm saying is that if you want more volume add another cabinet and/or get a more efficient cabinet. If it's "TONE" you're looking for...that's entirely up to your ears.

11. jjhardy

jjhardy

Mar 11, 2007
    alright, cool. this answers a lot of my questions. thanks guys.

12. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    The Trace Elliot 250 has 250 watts RMS at 4 ohms.
    Nonetheless, it's way louder than the B2R, just A/B them and you'll hear ;)