Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trading basses on talkbass...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Jan 2, 2006.

1. I was just curious, how do you go about protecting yourself when trading basses on talkbass.com?? I have had a couple offers to trade basses straight up but I've never done it before and it kind of worries me.

Is there anything I can do to protect myself so I dont get ripped off or am I pretty much on my own? I know the best way would to be meet the trader in person but thats not possible due to distance.

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    First of all check their feedback to see if they have previously done any trades and how they went. I would ask for as many photos of the bass as possible ( to establish the condition ) and then talk to the trader on the phone to work out the details. Most people who trade on TB are known to other TB ers, who can give you their feedback on that person. Like any other trade done remotely there is always a risk but I would much rather do a deal on TB than any other place.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I've done it. Never had a problem. TB isn't a very fraudy place. This isn't Ebay, so you won't have random people PMing you saying "Hello I are trade base gitars I am singapore send me bass I will send 3000$ money order kep the change". Just be cautious, but don't be a weenie. Weenies suck.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

I deal with established TBers who have been around a while only. I Learned my lesson the hard way.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Unfortunately sometimes even that isn't enough. I learned that the hard way.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ah yes. I forgot about that situation. I guess it is really a "beware " type of situation. However, I've had overwhelmingly positive deals. Only one of mine has gone bad.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Only one of mine. Wasn't a big deal, just annoying as heck to deal with. Overall I'd say this is the best community to buy from, with people I'm familiar with.

If anyone gets the least bit annoyed about someone trying to work safeguards into a deal (including me), walk away.

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    guess it could help for a classifieds mod to chime in on this ;)

this the policy regarding buyer/seller from the rules of the classifieds.

"Q: Does TalkBass provide any form of buyer/seller protection in the event of a problem?

A: Transactions between TalkBass members are done at their own risk. TalkBass administrators and moderators do not guarantee that the transactions members choose to engage in are safe and that the descriptions provided by sellers are accurate. Members who choose to buy/sell gear through the TalkBass Classifieds understand that TalkBass, its administrators and moderators are not liable for any loss that may occur due to the use of the Classifieds Forum. But if loss does occur, it is a good idea to let a forum moderator or paul know, in order to help let TB as a whole know about bad business or scams. (clay's edit)"