trading basses with a bassgear guy; any warnings?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by godoze, Apr 9, 2003.

1. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i've never traded basses with anyone online before. Do you guys with experience in this have any guidlines that you use when doing this.

I do not know if he is a TB'er.

2. I checked out the dude's phone number and home address just to make sure they were legitimate.

If the guy wants you to ship to a work address, call the main desk phone number of that office--look it up online--to make sure that the potential trader actually works there.

In short, gather all the information necessary to make this person's life very, very uncomfortable if he decides to rip you off.
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    he has agreed to the trade but we haven't confirmed anything yet.

Still waiting for pics.

I guess the ultimate downside is that there really is nothing i can do if they guy gets me bass and then falls off the face of the earth, right ?
  4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    That is what would make me nervous about trading with someone who I do not know. If I knew the person well, and I got their basses (which would be similiar value) at the same time as he got mine, I would feel fine about it. Then at least you have some collateral to insure you don't get ripped off. But this is really about your comfort level, not mine.
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    yeah, the basses are similar value. I guess i'll talk to the guy on the phone and see what my feeling is at that point.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Well, I talked to the guy. We exchanged info...Seems on the up and up.

My bass just went out UPS...His should be here on Wednesday.

Let's cross our fingers...
  7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I would find out if he has any net references and follow up on them. I always ask if they have eBay feedback? Hope all goes OK!
  8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    we did check out each others ebay feedback...