Trading basses with a dealer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm thinking of trading basses with a dealer that has never done a long distance trade. I've never done that either so I'm a newbie.

What is the normal procedure for doing this? I've sent detailed photos to the dealer. The dealer really doesn't know what the next step is. Do I send my bass for them to inspect? I would assume if they don't like my bass then I would be responsible for return shipping, also. I guess I would need to pay for the shipping of my new bass, as well.

I guess the BIG question is if I don't like the the bass that I got out of the trade I guess I'd be stuck with the shipping of the return of my bass plus the shipping of the store's bass. Whew! UPS could get rich off of this.

The bottom line is: is this all worth it? I live in an area that is devoid of anything close to a great bass so I have very little opportunity to test anything great. I've really lucked out on the basses that I've bought by mail.

Thanks for any comments or experiences.
  2. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    i wouldnt trade any of my stuff without knowin which bass i got from the other person/shop......
  3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I did this last year. You must ask alot of questions and make sure the dealer has a good reputation. Ask them for references on a few of the deals (trades) they've made in the past.
    Fortunately, my transaction worked out great for both parties. I had a bass lying around that I wasn't using and probably never would use that I traded for what quickly became my main bass.
    I have no regrets and neither does the dealer, he told me he loved the bass I sent him and that it sold very fast.