Trading basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick Wagner, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Hey, Im thinking of trading my current RBX760 in, and paying a little cash for the 5 string version. I really like the sound/look/feel of the Yamaha's, and Id like the 5 string... but do you think it would be worth it? Would I get totally ripped off? Im going to trade it in at guitar center... I was also thinking of using my old Squier P-Bass and Frontman 15B amp as extra bartering.

MY RBX is in good condition (NOT mint), and my Squier is in better condition than when I bought it (new wiring, new pickguard). Im hoping I wont spend more than $100 for the RBX765.

Any thoughts?
  2. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    dont let them know youve got more or theyll use it against you. make them get you as close as possible (im guessing you'll pay 175) and then add in the extra stuff, or sell it for cash. but they do bring down the price of the new equipment when they do a trade so maybe it will be just a little more like youre hoping for.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They will give you a little less than half of what you paid for it on a trade in. I would not do it.
  4. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    and its a bass they already sell so they'll probably give less for that reason also. ive traded there before, and it probably wasnt a good deal, but im happy with the outcome.
  5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    From a finacial point of view, you'd do LOTS better simply selling the basses and using the cash to buy the 5-string--you'll get nowhere near (maybe 50%?) what they're worth in trade-in value.

6. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Listen to me very carefully! I have purchased many guitars from the G/C, and when I wanted to trade in for something else, usually a more expensive bass, they would usually only offer me anywhere between 1/3 and less than 1/2 of what I paid for it. I was not aware of how they did things at first, but I took them up on one of their offers, and traded a MIM Fender 5 deluxe that I had paid aprx a grand for at the time, they gave me a less than 500 for trade, and had it out on the floor for sell the next week for aprx about 800$ :spit: they will always give you the story about "how its lost its value" or "they would have a hard time selling it because blah,blah,blah so we can only give you blal,blah,blah" I am good friend with one of the salesman and he explained to me their policy on trades. "WHICH SUCKS" but.......:rolleyes: I agree with the post I have seen so far, you would be better off trying to sell it for cash in most cases, IMO,,,,but what ever you decide to do, good luck to you!!!!!:bassist:
  7. But,You have to understand the economics of it: Say they are selling a bass for $1000 and your trade-in is worth $500. They have to get more than $500 in cash from you because they can only give you wholesale value on your bass. They have to make a profit when they sell your bass,so they can't give you what it's actually worth. Plus,the profit from the bass you are getting is tied up in the trade-in until they sell it. So the mark-up is high. But,it has to be for them to make any money on the deal. It seems high,but it's not usually unreasonable.
    For instance-If you want to trade basses of equal value,it's hard for them to do. Because they don't make any money on the deal. If your bass is worth $100,they can only give around $50 for it. So you give them your bass and $50 for their $100 bass. (It seems like a rip-off,but it's just business) They then sell your old bass for $100. So, they basically made the profit for both of the basses when they sold the used bass. (because you only gave them $50 cash)
    I probably rambled on and on and made no sense. But,I worked in a store for quite awhile and I no the deal on trade-ins. It's not a good deal for the musician,but it's the nature of business. They can't be in business without making a reasonable profit. Do some guys try to rip you off? Of course they do.
    You are always better off selling it yourself. Then maybe you can get the bass and some pickups or whatever.
    Just my input...
  8. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    One store worker said their trade-in formula is half the list, then 66% of the remainder. So a $3,800 bass, the day after you buy it, if traded in, is worth...drum roll please...$1,254. Do the math. Sell it on your own.;)
  9. Man,that sucks,huh. It seems like music stores have alot in common with car dealers.

But to play Devil's Advocate:
    Is the $3800 retail? So,if you buy it for $2700,what is it worth used? $1900? IF so,they're making roughly 25% profit. About average. So,they aren't
    ripping you off,but like rikreyn said-It's always better to sell it on your own. That way you get that 25% or so yourself.:bassist:
  10. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA

Thanks alot for the comments everyone, I think I may take your advice and just sell it myself. I might also call them and ask about it, just to see.

The only problem is finding someone to buy it, heh... I could always try ebay, but sometimes it can be such a hassle.
  11. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    That sure is a funny way of saying 1/3 of list. ;)
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I am in a similar dilemma- I know its a rip-off to trade in a bass, but no one on this planet seems to want my bass for than what the music store will give me on trade-in because its a plywood body bass (it was my first bass) I really need teh cash to afford teh 6 string I'm lookin though and its a used bass so its not like they have a lot of them lying around. :(
  13. I've done trade-ins a few times. Sometimes the convenience makes it almost worth it.:meh:
    if you need the money right now and if it's a hard item to move,and it gets you what you want,why not?
  14. All very good advice here. I traded in two basses in my life and got ripped off (I did know it at the time)
    so my advice would be to sell it yourself, unless you are absolutely sure this is going to be THE LAST BASS you're ever going to buy.

When you show up with a trade-in it shows the other guy you're hungry. It's like running from a dog - don't do it. ;)

15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    In a nutshell:

Wholesale cost for big retailers is roughly 40-45 percent of list depending on whatever deal they worked out with the vendor.

They deep discount to 65-70 percent of list.

So, if we take a $1000 list to make life easy, they paid $400-450 and will sell for $650-700. You buy and it and want to trade it a year later.

They have a right to expect a similar margin with used gear. Otherwise there is no point in selling it. In other words, why should they pay more for inventory that they will be forced to sell for less?

I wouldn't do that whether I was selling basses or lemonaid or luxury yachts.

So this now used bass that will sell for $450-500 will cost them (what you get in trade) $225-275.

They actually use a "bluebook" to offer trade values, but the percentages average out pretty close to this.

This is the big retailer way. Local vendors may be more creative because you may be trading a piece that they can't otherwise get, or they may just want to keep a customer. But GC isn't in that boat.