TRADING DILEMMA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MauroScaparro, Sep 4, 2019.

1. MauroScaparro

MauroScaparro

Feb 1, 2017
    I have 5 basses

Epiphone Jack Cassady
    Fender precision 50s road worn
    Fender Am Std JazzBass 5 '01
    Musicman Stingray5 '89
    Musicman Stingray Classic5 Limited Edition

A friend proposed to exchange my MM Classic5 for his Fender American Deluxe V '98 (John Suhr era).
    Im CRAZY about that Deluxe, i love it but i dont know if its a good deal. In both cases i have "bass redundance" (2 jazz bass5 style basses or 2 Musicman). Love the SharayReed vibe, but i love also the 2 band eq on the MM Classic and the fact that is limited edition (gold sparkle, matching headstock, ebony board and roasted maple neck). I prefer my MM 89 tho, anyway not sure.
    I love all the basses involved, i dont know what to do, any ideas?
    Help please. (Yes, this is my "problem" haha)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  2. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    I can't provide input as to the value, but I'd hang on to that MusicMan if it were me.

And this is coming from a huge Fender fan.

MauroScaparro likes this.
  3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    No deal!

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Not even close. Keep the SR5.

MauroScaparro and ajkula66 like this.
  5. KEEP THE RAY!!!!!!!!

6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Love Fenders and MM basses, but I can't imagine what you would gain with that Deluxe. Fenders should be passive and I think Fender is telling us all this by making lousy on-board pre-amps.

7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    If you really want the Fender, ask for at least $500 with the trade.

8. MauroScaparro

MauroScaparro

Feb 1, 2017
    20190905_164851.jpg 20190905_164913.jpg 20190905_165012.jpg 20190905_164950.jpg

The beauties above..
    Thank you for your opinion guys!
    Great community

Attached Files:

9. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Sounds like your not really playing the MM Classic 5 and prefer the '89. The value isn't 1:1 on the trade and agree you should get some cash on top of the deal. The shoe would be on the other foot if it were an Am Std Elite Jazz.

If you're not playing the MM Classic 5, then sell it and get the cash value. If you're partial to it, maybe save up the cash and buy the JS Jazz outright.

10. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

Sep 11, 2012
    GTA, Ontario
    Don't do it unless if it's a custom shop Fender.

11. funkytoe

funkytoe In Memoriam

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I'd stick with the hand you have. Don't really see the trade getting you anything financially or from a sonic perspective.

12. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I wouldn't.

13. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I would trade the American Standard V.

14. MauroScaparro

MauroScaparro

Feb 1, 2017
    I would too but in that case i would have the less value and would have to put some cash and i m already in the process of upgrading my audio interface for the home studio.
    Thanks for your input!

15. MauroScaparro

MauroScaparro

Feb 1, 2017
    Ok so everyone is by the same sideKEEP THE CLASSIC RAY, is a beauty and is solid as hell, im really GASing with the Deluxe but i guess i will have to pass on that, my heart is broken

16. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Bummer then. I am unsure what else to suggest.

Good luck!

17. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    It will pass. It’s just a Fender. It might seem like “Mr. Right”, when really it’s just “Mr. Right Now”.

That Ray is fuego, homie. It may be boring to you since you’re so used to it, but it’s been there for you. That Fender just wants to flirt for a free coffee and dinner.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  18. MauroScaparro

MauroScaparro

Feb 1, 2017
    Haha! Thank you for your words, i guess you re right, the MM classic is fuego indeed.
    To be honest i ve been looking for a Suhr era Deluxe for years, but i guess its not the right deal, so i will try to come up with an alternative so i dont have to let go the Classic5, if nothing works, well..i let the Fender go and move on, its not a real problem anyway.
    THANK YOU ALL, TRULY GRATEFUL

19. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    No such thing as just a "Fender". The Suhr era Jazz's do have something special about them. Same could be said of the MM but the value in this scenario isn't 1:1. As I said earlier, this would be a different scenario if it were a Sherwood Green American Jazz Elite...

Mauro, I can tell by your beautiful collection that you love Jazz basses. Maybe your friend can set the bass aside and you can pick it up later? Have you played it yet? How does it sound to you?

20. MauroScaparro

MauroScaparro

Feb 1, 2017
    He lent it to me, i have it at home, in fact, the deluxe in the picture is he's, it sounds beautiful, thats the reason im considering the trade.
    It would be nice if my friend accepted my american standard it would be very nice to me but i dont have any cash to add in that case, im still thinking a possible plan

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Raw N Low likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2021