1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trading effects: your experiences and common practices

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dlenaghan, Jul 13, 2012.

1. So I'm trading a pedal for another, we've got the values and whatnot matched up, and I'm wondering how you've done trades in the past.

It's actually over on I Love Fuzz but I think I'd do things similarly on TalkBass, here's the situation:

I'm new over there, no feedback, though the feedback system is just a list of names on a mod-edited list. The other guy has a good reputation, but he's asking that I ship first and I imagine he'll ship after he receives mine.

I guess.. I'm a bit sketched out, but it's also a first for me. I've pointed him to my feedback here and on eBay (same username all three places), and while things like this usually turn out well I'd like a little perspective from y'all.

Thanks, posting this in "Misc" as well.

Dan

2. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    If they have a lot of posts and their name isn't Blind to Faith, it's usually pretty safe.

I mean.....we all take a risk trading on here or over there. Buying, we're protected by paypal (as long as we're smart enough not to gift it), with selling, paypal can easily screw us as it's the buyer's word that taken 90% of the time, and trading.....the only thing that keeps someone from screwing someone in a trade is the fear of being banned.....that's really all that can happen.

But generally, I would only trade with someone I've seen post a lot, I've had interactions with, or has an amazing rep. But stay away from BtF and that Lyons guy of Basic Audio.

3. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Huzzah.

Nope, you ship same time (imo). You have every reason to distrust him just as much as he does to you. Bruceaphone hit the nail on the head though..I only trade with folk I can actually get an idea of their decency.

Whooooo is it?

4. ILF username is mrmtzion. 300+ posts since a join date of January this year. Of course I only have like 12 posts over there, and I joined because some of the stuff I'm trying to get rid of is a bit odd, so I thought there'd be a more interested crowd over at ILF. Joining a new forum is a tiring experience, though - new format, new relationships to establish, new avatars to upload.. blag.

5. Thanks for the pointers - I'd love to hear some more people's experiences.

6. BugZaney

BugZaney

Mar 7, 2012
    interestingly enough, i just did a trade with this fellow over on ILF. we both sent trades same day with shipping confirmation so unless he sent me a bogus parcel, it should work out.

this was my first pedal trade, was a bit nervous.

7. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    MrMtZion is a tool, but harmless. Ask him what the best fuzz for doom is?

That guy has been on that site under different names for awhile. He doesn't change his name because he rips anybody off or anything, it's because he makes himself a target (for those that don't know ILF is the Wild West compared to here). His last user name was DoomFuzz and he asked "what is the Best Fuzz for Doom?" and people gave him hell! I thought it was funny.

8. BugZaney

BugZaney

Mar 7, 2012
    OIC, well as long as i get my end of the trade its all good.

EDIT: i didn't realize ILF was so perceived that way. errbody been real pleasant to me since my arrival.

9. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    I love ILF. I don't mean the people are bad. It is way less modded so it is just wilder. Sometimes people mess with each other. Usually it is in fun. The way DoomFuzz/MrMtZion reacted is why people pushed it that far.

10. Are you joking about John or is there something I've missed?

Edit: found the thread at ILF. Just started reading, but it's making me sad.

11. This thread isn't made to slag anyone off, but I thank you all for your perspectives - I'm glad to know a bit more about whom I'm dealing with, especially if they've jumped from name to name, and I can certainly tell that ILF is far less moderated, and whether for better or worse, that seems to be the draw for its community, though my draw was for the builders, who are very out-of-the-box thinkers in my book.

Thread? Making you sad?

... maybe I shouldn't search..

12. Well, come Monday I will be able to say, "Here goes nothing..."

I really hope it works out. Of course, I felt the same nervous reservations the first time I used eBay, and then the first time I used TB..

13. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I wouldn't agree to ship first if he's not also going to ship. That's BS. Both people should ship at the same time unless it's someone you know really really well. Sometimes if I don't know the other person, I print off the shipping label so I can give him the tracking number like a day before I actually hand it off to the post office, and I recommend he does the same thing, so that we both have a tracking number for our pedals before either of us ships.

As for mrmtzion, yeah he's ok, no problems with him. As was said, the only reason he changed his name over on ILF is because everyone was ragging on him for a dumb thread.

14. It's like a Mexican standoff. Although if you're all like, "I'll post my tracking number when you do," and they're equally suspicious/cautious, then nothing happens and people are ready to call 'foul'.

15. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    No, I don't make them post their tracking number first. I just print out my shipping label, send them the tracking number, but I don't actually ship it out until the next day or so. In the meantime, they usually get back to me with a tracking number on their end by the time I actually ship it out.

But this is only when I'm skeptical about the person I'm trading with.

16. Well, I'll certainly post here when it all goes down. We'll see.

17. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    im all for mutual trust and shipping at the same time, but if someone shows up on TB with zero feedback and has been here for 3 days and they wanna trade, cool.....you ship first. my great feedback and long history says I'll follow thru.

18. Yeah man, I'd be a bit un easy on that. I could see what you mean about being new there but its not hard to get a vibe if someones legit or not. I got a good impression of you the first time we interacted and would not hesitate to send you something. I've had good trades happen here, but I also did a little research on the person and I make sure that my profile is filled out completely. That really helps. I would not do a trade with someone who just has age, and hobbies filled out. No Chance.

19. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Owner, Handlebar Moustache Supporting Member In Memoriam

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    And when the sh*t hits the fan you call in Waterpilot!!

20. LMAO