Trading Gear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LukeMan970, Oct 25, 2005.

1. LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Does anyone know if Guitar Center takes trades on basses? If so, do they trade straight across or take a chunk of money out of your trade?
  2. panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    they rip you off
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    In most cases, expect to receive 50 percent of the resale price.
  5. LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    well that sucks, thats how bassNW does it too. man this sucks.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It doesn't suck and its not a rip off.

Its how music stores work. If they give you what your instrument is worth, how are they going to make any profit, let alone cover overhead?
  7. You can consign your gear on BassNW. I did that with an old Spector 5 string, and if you wait till it sells and buy something from them, I believe (I may be wrong) you get 80% of the sale price toward your purchase.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Case File #1: I took a brand new barely used Lakland 55-01 in to trade for a Fender Marcus Miller sig. They offered me exactly $349 for it! I told them to *&%&^__&^%^& and to ^%% (^*% &^ and to also %%^&!! Nuff said! :eyebrow:
  9. If that wasnt such a rip, I would laugh.
  10. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Not a rip at all. They have to pay overhead. The bass is going to sit at the store. It may be sold the next day, it may sit for 2 yrs. Used 55-01s go in the $500 range. I'd say they made you a generous offer. I know GC is sometimes considered the evil empire, and I don't like all their business practices either, but their trade in policy is fair, and pretty much in line with the rest of the industry. If you know what their policies are, it makes it easier to deal with them and get a good price when BUYING used gear, rather than selling or trading.
  11. LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah i'm doing the consign thing right now at BassNW but I'm thinking about taking it back and then becoming a supporting user on here and selling it to one of you fine folks. :)
  12. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    nothing against the larger resalers (and even the smaller ones), but I think that its better to sell independently. You know who is buying your stuff, you get more money for it, you know the terms under which your bass is being sold.. and its just better for the community.
  13. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Unless you know somebody like a department manager at Banjo Center you're probably going to take a bath on a trade. Also beware that if you bought whatever you're trading at Banjo Center - it's in their database and the price you paid is what they partially base the amount they'll allow you on a trade.

Better to sell to an individual if at all possible. Post your gear on TB.
  14. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    You are so much better off trying to sell it here on TB or Sleeze Baying it. You will get much more money than you will on a trade. Depending on what you have and what you paid, there is always a chance - on E-bay - you could get all of your money back out of a sale.
  15. +1. Although it's a pain sometimes, it's always better to sell independently. You get more. But as far as trades go, it depends what you have and what you want out of it. I'll be getting a new bass soon at GC, and it'll be an upgrade from a 4-string fretless to a 5-string fretless. The bass I'm trading in was used when I bought it, but in great condition. I'll be getting in trade, what I paid to buy it originally, so I'm okay with that, since I'll break even on it and it'll save me the time involved to sell. (Home life is REALLY busy, and if the sale doesn't go through fast enough, I lose the one I'm buying...)

About a month ago, though, I talked to another store and they showed me "the book" they use to get the worth of a trade, then what they'll sell it for, then the amount they'll give you in trade. Obviously the amounts go down considerably between the amount they will sell it for and the amount they'll give you!

I guess I got sort of lucky working with they guy I'm doing the trade with, and it probably helps that I'm ordering the bass I want through them at the same time; makes them a little more willing to "haggle". Remember; "consignment" will bring in more for the bass, most of the time, but will still cost you something in their fee. Have to weigh that out, too.

Bottom line; you're the only one who knows if you feel you're getting a good trade deal or not. It's money, time, and effort all taken into consideration. Never hurts to ask, but don't settle for less than you want!
  16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yup, I've sold to Sam Ash once, and I was in a really bad jam. I bought some cabs cheap knowing I could profit off even Sam Ash so I tood them up and made $200 on the deal. Otherwise I wouldn't step within 200 feet of Sam Ash with used gear.
  17. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    If you are going to do a trade it, try and trade for another piece of used gear. Their are better margins on used gear, and it will be a sweeter deal.

I'm sure you know that trading up is always a better deal than strait selling it to them. Trade in values are not very negotiable, but if you trade up, you can get a standard trade in value and deal a bit on the price of the item you are trading up for, and that can make for a good deal for everyone.