Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trading in my Azola for a double bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassgruvn, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Hello all
    I would like to start by saying thank you for all the valuable info that is here on the forum.

So I have decided to take the plunge as it where and get my self a double bass, I have been playing electric bass for about 25 years now . I use an Azola BugBass II for my upright needs but I want to take it to the next lvl, this leads me to a few questionsÂ…
    Does anyone know any good teachers in Simi Valley, TO, Ventura area of California.
    Where one go to purchase a double bass in the $1500.00 - $3000.00 range???
    And what would you all suggest for bass brand ?
    Thank you again for all your help

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Read the newbie links and do a search of the Forum for Shen, Christopher, and Upton basses. These are all within your price range.

Good luck and welcome.

3. vanderbrook

vanderbrook Some days, I miss frets... Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    You might call Lemur Music down in San Juan Capistrano. Depending on where you want to go with it, you might think of trying to get ahold of a laminated (e.g., Engelhardt) bass that's been upgraded and professionally set-up by one of the major shops. I can personally recommend Hammond Ashley in Seattle, if you feel like taking a road trip. If you have to have a carved bass and can stretch your budget a little bit, (All Hail!) Bob Gollihur is, I believe, still selling carved Bulgarian basses you might be able to swing.

Congrats on your decision to get a Real Bass!

4. Yes . . Get the acoustic, but keep the BugBass around. There will be circumstances where it will come in handy . . ;)

5. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Agreed. Sometimes climate and/or stage conditions won't allow bringing an acoustic upright without risking any potential damage to it.

I find myself dusting off my Clevinger EUB occasionally, lately more so.

6. Ahh Good point. Use the Azola at church once and a while, comes in handy.
    ;)

7. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I was a BG player for about 25 years before I started to go DB. I did it stepwise fashion, with a variety of EUB's along the way. My last EUB was a Carved Baby Bass from Azola. When I wanted to 'go all the way', Steve Azola set me up with a nice, very affordable, used DB he had redone. I'd actually call him and see what he's got - he still takes in DB's on trade as I remember. He's really good at setting up DB's for first-timers. And you'll both have a point of reference from which to make all the setup decisions - the Bug.