Trading in my P bass for a Hofner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Schulhz, May 14, 2021.

1. Jason Schulhz

Jason Schulhz

May 1, 2020
    Yeah, it’s true. I’ve had my p bass for a year and used every EQ and string configuration I could think of and I’m not getting the low end that I want. I’m playing it through a Fender amp which is middle of the pack respectable. I’m thinking of getting a Hofner, which besides the Thunderbird is the only bass that consistently delivers the sound I’m looking for. I’m guessing because of the humbuckers. Plus I’m a pick player and those are great basses to play with picks. Am I crazy? I want a low end that thumps harder than a kick drum (not literally). Thunderbirds just scream punk and metal and my church might kick me out if I show up with one. Plus, you know. They cost 2,500.00

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The instrument should work for whatever playing situation you’re in. Trust your instincts. Learn from any mistakes...that’s life usually.

3. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    upload_2021-5-14_20-44-38.png

4. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    /\ $699

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  5. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    I'd go the Sheehan route and install a mudbucker.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

A p bass delivers way, way more low end than a Hofner so I'm not sure what you're looking for is what you think you're looking for.

7. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Quarter pound pickups. Or, jazz bass...with quarter pound pickups. Or...pluck softly in front of the pickup, with tone back slightly...and quarter pound pickups.

You're going to be very disappointed.

8. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Oh, pick? That's why you're not getting your low end. I mean, you are, but you don't notice it with all those mids and highs boosted from the pick.

Regardless, quarter pound pickups. And, use a thinner pick.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Low end that thumps with a pick, likes Hofner tone, have you tried flatwound strings ?

10. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    This is simply not true AT ALL. Actually I can't think of any bass with a more MASSIVE low end than a good quality Höfner, especially when equipped with Pyramid Golds (like any decent Höfner should be IMO;)). Höfners are sub bass MONSTERS! P-basses are mid focused by comparison.

Whether that's a good thing will of course depend on the song/genre/setting/personal taste... etc.etc.

Unfortunately there are lots of poor quality Höfner-copies out there that give the real ones a bad name.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  11. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    What you're saying is 100% correct for a P-bass but a Höfner will provide MASSIVE lows with a pick. It's one of those (very few) basses that seems to be designed for picks and it actually feels like I get MORE lows when using a pick (+ a touch of palm muting) than when playing fingerstyle. For maximum thump you gotta have the tone controls in "Macca-mode" with the "Bass On" switch engaged and use the neck pickup only.

If you can't get SEISMIC lows when playing with a pick on a Höfner there's something wrong with either the bass, the strings, your setup or your technique. A good quality Höfner is an EXCELLENT choice for fat lows when using a pick. In fact, I don't think ANY other bass will give such fat lows with a pick.

12. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    And of course, if you don't fancy the "Beatles vibe" there's always the Club bass too. Really cool instruments but beware of cheap imitations! A real German Höfner is a work of art. We're talking boutique level, custom shop quality. Some of the cheap copies out there are simply junk.

13. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    I do not think this means what you think it means...

el murdoque and PennyroyalWe like this.
  14. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    if Hofner is your dream sound, go for it. play one before you trade as it's a total different bass comparing to a FSO.

15. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

REV likes this.
  16. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    I LOVE my Fender P but totally get wanting a Hofner. It's a great tone which is nice and even all the way up the neck. Wish I had a good reason to own both.

17. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I've owned well over a dozen Fender (and Fender-style) basses over the last 20 years. I no longer own a single one and play only short-scales that could hardly be farther from classic Fender designs. No problem with realizing that a Fender Precision bass is not for you! They are fantastic instruments and a benchmark brand with many imitators, for good reason, but they're not everybody's cup of tea.
    I hope you will love your future Höfner! You are absolutely right that playing one of these with a pick will give you huge low end thump. The physics behind scale length actually does support your intention and expectation of more natural low-end. It's one of the things I also love about short-scales too.
    Is there a particular model you are looking at? Also what Precision bass model are you currently using? Just out of curiosity and for furthering discussion!

18. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    Hofner is very much a one-trick pony and you might very well regret the purchase after a few weeks.
    A P can get you through anything, maybe your issue is not the bass. If I am having issues with bottom, I am usually looking at my amp.
    Of course nothing wrong with adding a Hofner.

19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    The problem I’ve had with “Beatle” basses (Hofners, Violas, etc...) is that they have a ton of fundamental low end and not much else. They also neck dive a ton, IME. Could be worth it if that’s exactly what you want, but a P bass is quite a bit more versatile in my mind.

20. bikemusic

bikemusic

Feb 6, 2019
    In a similar situation, I recently got a Hofner Contemporary Club. I find it very versatile and a lot more than a "one trick pony". Plus, it looks real classy in a church situation. The Contemporary Series is nearly impossible to distinguish visually from the German ones, except their 1/3 the cost. Same pickups, same binding, same zero fret, same quality workmanship as far as I can tell. Huge amount of low end with flatwounds on it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021