Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trading in your bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raycer, Feb 3, 2005.

1. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I've been thinking about trading in my LTD Viper 101 and use it as a down payment on another bass.

I was wondering though, when you take a bass in for trade in, about how much of the market value do they give you? 50%, 60%, 70%?

I'm not talking about a vintage, rare bass. Just your usual production basses.

2. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    I've found most places around here will give you 50% of what they can sell it for.

Better to try to sell it on your own if you have the time.

3. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    You'll do better if you sell it yourself. Good Luck!

4. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    50% huh. probably would be better to sell it on my own I guess :)

silent method, let me take a couple of pics

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    sell it on TB. Unless you really can get a good deal. Most places it is 50% unless it is something rare

6. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    The only other option is some places will do a consignment deal, where they'll put it up in the store, let people play it, etc. If they sell it, they get a percentage. (One place near me I think takes 20%.)

The downside is that it sits in the store, and probably gets handled by a lot of people that you may not want handling it.

+1 on selling here. I've never had a problem buying or selling here - an honestly good group of people.

7. stamman5

stamman5

Aug 10, 2004
    Boston
    Because of where you live I would say try to sell it on your own. If you ever make it out to the midwest, IN for example, I find that they give you a lot more for your used gear. Towards 70%. Otherwise, try it here on TB or if you are not a supporting member there are other free places you can try. Good luck :bassist:

8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    50% or 70% of what is listed for it in the "Blue Book", usually. Those books are usually way off as far as the value of basses. They are really towards the mainstream in the market kind of thing. TB'ers are the best place to start with selling or trading your bass. They are pretty fair :eyebrow: and will act quickly if what you have is what they want. I have delt with TB'ers on severaly dealings and I have had all great experiences.

9. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Consider selling on eBay as well. Set the starting price at the minimum you're willing to sell for, and a Buy It Now price that you'd really like to get (but not more than 20% over the starting price). I've had very good luck with this approach -- I've sold basses on eBay for 20% more than I had previously listed them for on TB.

10. If a shop plans to sell your bass for 60% to 70% of its new price, and they have to make a profit, and they need to add in a contingency for any warranty work/repairs prior to sale, and they have to sales tax/value added tax built into that price, that suggests that they may only be offering you about 25% of its value.

11. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    I find it's better to ebay a guitar in almost every case. I've always got more that way

12. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    The thing that hurts about E-bay are the fee's though. They can be pretty steep and they own PayPal as well which is another chunk of dough. :crying: Check your options. I recommend trying the cheap and "Free" routes first and E-bay second. Places like TB, Harmony-Central, and others are free and The Dude Pit cost like $10. E-bay can easily run that and more with the listing fee's gallery fee's final value fee's. Also, bidpay is a good option to PayPal. The buyer pays the fee and not you as the seller. Pisses me off everytime I use it, but I keep using it so I do not have to give E-Bay any more of my money. :bawl:

13. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Yes, you would be lucky to get 50%. I traded basses in for years and wound up giving away a lot of gear. With the internet, you need never have to be subjected to that.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    As a retailer, I can tell you this is pretty accurate.

Remember, WE can sell it for about what YOU can, but we also need to have some profit. There is overhead to contend with as well. Also, certain items will be more "trade-able" than others: An MTD 535 holds more resale value than an LTD Viper 101 will, for instance. Some basses or amps will be worth more trade than others for this reason. Another thing is whether the shop that you are trading with feels that the piece is worth the effort to stock, honestly (and understand I mean NO offense to you personally here) my shop would not take the LTD - our clientele has no interest in such an instrument, and our trading for it would just give us a "white elephant" that would tie up capital and space on our used bass display, but never sell for any kind of profit. This can apply to both inexpensive instruments as well as VERY expensive instruments - if there's no demand, there is no sense in having a supply.

Just for a kind of overview of our philosophy, we consider that an "average" bass in very good to mint condition will sell used for about half of the new retail price. Our trade values reflect what we need to see as a profit margin on this. We do not "inflate" trade values, then give insignificant discounts on new items in an attempt to make it seem to the trader than we are giving them a great value for their trade. Instead, we give a fair trade value for both parties, and then a fair sale price on the item traded for.

For the record, I almost always will tell a potential trade customer upfront that they will be better off selling the instrument themselves (i.e. more money in your pocket) than trading it in. However, if you want the convience of not having to sell an instrument yourself, there is a cost - that is you will see less of the value of the bass directly. It's just like paying more for full-service gasoline (remember that? :) ) than for self-service gasoline.

15. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Great to hear from the other side!!! :D

16. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I did once see a bass for sale at Bass Central for half the new retail price ... but then I woke up.

17. Trading in sucks.

I've got a Yamaha RBX 760 (4-string) that I bought brand new but never played it. I noticed a local shop had a used RBX 765, the 5 string version of mine, same color, for $399....Hmmmm....maybe I could trade in mine for the 5 string, right?

The salesman brings out his Orion book, I look over his shoulder, and the two models are about $15 to $25 different in value (retail versus retail, wholesale versus wholesale, trade versus trade).

Remember, the store was asking $399 for the 5 string. The salesman thinks a second and says..."tell you what...give me $200 and your bass".

Dude, don't insult me. I have not returned to that store since.