Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trading MIA Deluxe Jazz for Stingray 5 Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Should I do this trade. I've never played a Fretless before and i'm wondering if it's going to be too hard.It has lines on so that should help, but what are the tonal differences between a Fretted Stingray 5 and a Fretless Stingray 5.Also, this may be a stupid question but can You slap on a fretless. Like i said i've never played one and any advice would be appreciated.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If the Stingray is in good shape, it's a pretty even trade. I would do it in a heartbeat, but I love fretless. You don't know yet whether you do.

Tonally, the bass will sound very similar to a fretted Stingray, but will be a little smoother and mellower.

For examples of a fretless Stingray tone, check out Pino Palladino's work on some of Don Henley's and most of Paul Young's recordings.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If the MIA DLX Jazz is your main bass, I wouldn't do it. I'm not a big fan of fretless. I had a few & I always ended up selling them.

If the MIM DLX Jazz can become your main bass & you REALLY want a fretless, you might wanna go for it. If you don't like it MM Rays have a nice resale value.

IMO, If I were you, I'd buy a MIM Std fretless or something maybe even cheaper to bang around to see if it's really worth trading away a MIA DLX Jazz.

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i was actually kickin around the idea of gettin an olp 5'er to match my music man, having the frets yanked and put a s.d. mm replacement in the bridge with a coil tap to hold me over till i can get a dp custom. that might be a cheaper alternative. from my experience trading is never good cause you usually end up on the bottom end of the deal.:cool:

5. Ooh boy, this is a toughy. As Embellisher said as long as they're in similar condition (I assume good) then it'd be a even trade. Now as to whether you'll like fretless, I think the answer is yes. If you've been thinking about it for a while, I think you'll really like it. I do, but, I don't know if I would want to have only a fretless to play. Can you guys swap with a give back period spelled out? What I think will happen, is that you're gonna love playing fretless (those fret lines really help a beginner, believe me) but, after a while you're gonna miss having a fretted bass around. So, if that happens, could you afford to replace the deluxe Jazz, or be satisfied with a less expensive bass? Another idea is to keep your Jazz, and buy a mid priced new or used fretless. They have Yamaha BB4N fretless at M/F for $369.00. This is a tough one.

Good luck,
    Mike J.

A word of caution: Playing fretless may seem a little
    strange at first, but, it can become a lifelong habit. ;)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Amen to that one!:D

I missed part of your first post! Can you slap on fretless? Yes, you can, but it sounds different than slapping on a fretted. Some people like it, some don't. I am in the group that likes the way that it sounds, but you might want to find a fretted to try slapping on through an amp and see what it does for you.

Good luck with your decision!:)

7. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Actually I don't have the MIM Deluxe Jazz anymore and i'm not playing the MIA Deluxe Jazz as my main bass.My main bass is now a Warmoth Deluxe Jazz 5 String with an EMG 40CS w/ 18V preamp,Bad Ass V,Ebony board, Brass nut.It's natural Alder w/ a Quilted Maple top.I traded my MIM Deluxe +$80. I think i came out ahead on that deal.Since i've had the Warmoth my Fender just hasn't stacked up tone wise.I even tried a set of Model J's which helped but it still doesn't come close to the Warmoth.I've played a couple Stingrays through my rig and they sounded great. I'm just hoping a fretless will sound comparable. If not how much would a Fretted neck cost from Musicman ? Would it be possible to have frets installed on a Fretless?

8. I agree that going fretless is a great thing! I just got my fretless not too long ago, and I'm actually going to sell all of my fretted basses to make room for a high-end fretless. Frets just bug me now. I tried to go back to playing my fretted Spector, and I just wasn't feeling it.

So yes, be aware that fretless can be a lifelong habit indeed!