Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trading my Ampeg CL for 4 PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greendayjustin, May 3, 2005.

1. I have had it with carrying this amp! I love the tone, but it really is a pain in the ass transporting it. So, I think I might trade it for a new 4 PRO at a local guitar store. I know its still a heavy amp, but its about half the weight. Sound wise, how do these amps compare?

Thanks, Justin.

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Totally different animals. The 4 Pro is still "ampegy" but it has nothing like the growl of the CL. I've used several, and have actually gotten my personal tone nirvana from one, but I've also had them sound like sh*t. I think they are very picky about what cabs compliment them best.

Still I don't think I've ever been in a music store with a decent bass selection and not seen a 4 Pro, you should have no trouble finding one to try out.

Just how heavy is the CL anyway? The 4 Pro is like 40 pounds and you say its HALF the weight? What the hell do they put in those things?

3. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    SVT's are usually anywhere from 90 to 110 lbs, depending on the age of them.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The CL is quite heavy, but instead of going the SVT-4 route, perhaps you could grab an Eden tube amp (possibly with a different preamp), or a better matching Aggie DB 359 or 728 with an Ampeg preamp, both of which weigh less than the CL. The Traynor YBA200 is also pretty light for a tube amp, and though its not as loud it does get an SVT like tone. I think any of these options would probabally be better than the SVT Pro 4, as they all sound more like the CL than the SVT-4 Pro. Even the Mesa 400+ is lighter than the CL, and if you get a rack amp you could get rack wheels on it.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    ***, those heads weigh more than my GIRLFRIEND! :eek:

6. RushofBlood

RushofBlood

Apr 27, 2005
    I just bought one, and it weighs more than me, i'm surprised i can carry it!

Although I wouldn't consider trading it for anything in the world at this point.

7. I know a couple of different people having problems with the 4pro going out on them...Id stick with the CL.

8. yeah, same here. Just get a roadie :D

9. the two amps are different. The CL is the straight up classic tube monster to which all other all tubed amps are compared. The 4-pro is the quintessential beast of solid state power. In my experience when I plugged them in and listened the CL just sounded better than the 4, although I didn't take a lot of time to really fiddle with it. I am GASin' for a 4 though, they are quite monstrous. Both heads are great, but if I had the CL I would stick with it. A lot more knobs and buttons on the 4 too, if you're in to bells and whistles.

10. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    When I was looking at amps I wanted a CL or svt II but the weight of the head turned me off to it. They sound great but I really didn’t want to have to haul that amp around.
    I ended up getting the svt pro 4 and have used it on many gigs and am very happy with it. The head weighs about 42lbs and to me that’s still heavy but its worth it.