1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trading My Avalon U5.....Am I crazy??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mattm0805, Jul 15, 2005.

1. mattm0805

mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    I got my U5 about a year and a half ago. I absolutely love it, great tone, but now I'm looking for some with a little bit more dirt. I have heard good things out of the aguilar db900 and the new ampeg tube DI.
    Any suggestions or am I crazy for wanting something other than my U5. :eyebrow:

2. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Not crazy at all... the Avalon is super clean and pristine, and that's why i passed on it when i was in the market. The Aguilar should be right up your alley, also check out the Groove Tubes tube DI (forget the name). Haven't heard the Ampeg yet.

FWIW, i have a Little Labs Multi-Z DI... it's clean, but has features found on NONE of the others for hum cancelling and use with active basses. www.littlelabs.com

BTW, i saw in another thread that you have a Fulltone Bass drive... try that going into a DI, it can be nice! :D

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Nope... not crazy at all. I recently sold my U5 becuase, while it was nice and overall sounded great, I didn't find it to be drastically superior (or sometimes even superior, for that matter) to other DIs I use... and it's big, expensive, couldn't be throwin in a gig-bag like a Countryman, and I never liked the pre-set EQ thing. It's kinda "stuck in the middle" between being a true preamp (in that it lacks an effects loop and adjustable EQ) and a true DI box (in that it has the extra preset EQ voices that I rarely used).