Trading My Avalon U5.....Am I crazy??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mattm0805, Jul 15, 2005.

1. mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    I got my U5 about a year and a half ago. I absolutely love it, great tone, but now I'm looking for some with a little bit more dirt. I have heard good things out of the aguilar db900 and the new ampeg tube DI.
    Any suggestions or am I crazy for wanting something other than my U5. :eyebrow:
  2. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Not crazy at all... the Avalon is super clean and pristine, and that's why i passed on it when i was in the market. The Aguilar should be right up your alley, also check out the Groove Tubes tube DI (forget the name). Haven't heard the Ampeg yet.

FWIW, i have a Little Labs Multi-Z DI... it's clean, but has features found on NONE of the others for hum cancelling and use with active basses.

BTW, i saw in another thread that you have a Fulltone Bass drive... try that going into a DI, it can be nice! :D
  3. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Nope... not crazy at all. I recently sold my U5 becuase, while it was nice and overall sounded great, I didn't find it to be drastically superior (or sometimes even superior, for that matter) to other DIs I use... and it's big, expensive, couldn't be throwin in a gig-bag like a Countryman, and I never liked the pre-set EQ thing. It's kinda "stuck in the middle" between being a true preamp (in that it lacks an effects loop and adjustable EQ) and a true DI box (in that it has the extra preset EQ voices that I rarely used).