1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

trading upright for this

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Apr 27, 2010.

1. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I have been GASing for a fender precision and I saw a CL ad from a guy wanted to trade his 2000 Fender P Bass for an upright.

Although my no name plywood upright is sentimental and a good bass, I decided that since she is a hobby and never played out, I could part with her for this P bass.

2000 Standard USA made fender P bass. Not a fan of the color but I have to say this was beautifully set up and had a very incredible punch to it. Felt incredible in my hands that I decided to make the trade without much sadness.

I can upgrade to a better Upright another time

2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Thats nice!!!

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    A good quality laminate upright can be worth $2-4k. Some of the vintage Kay basses fetch even more. Got pics? Is there a label in the upright. When and where did you get it?

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Cool Precision! I actually like the color - throw a new guard on there maybe - brown tort? or black!? Can't say enough good things about the simplicity of a good P bass.

Oh yeah, lets see some pics of that upright too :bag:

5. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    The Upright has nothing on the inside. It's not anything special. I would know. It was just a starter upright and I got it by trading with a local bassist. I gave him my Acoustic Image 2R amp for it. He installed a new bridge and pup.

I figured it was worth $900 tops.

He paid $900 for this bass, although he got it from a small mom-pop shop so he overpaid a little. But the setup made this one of those special standard P basses. The maple neck was hot, too. I really enjoyed playing it.

This means I retire my Reverend Jazz Bass, which is the last 4 string bass the company ever made. She is an amazing looking and playing bass.

But this P bass fits the music I am playing better and having both a P and J makes me more versatile

I never played the Upright live and I own a Mustang GT and I cannot get it to fit in there.