Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tradition B100 & Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ourduck, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ourduck

ourduck

Jun 8, 2004
    Hi all,

My son and I have been pouring over your site and can really hold quite a technical conversation and not have a clue about what we're talking about. My 13 yo son would like to take bass lessons this summer with an eye to joining the middle school jazz band in the fall. He currently plays trombone and placed well in both the regional competitions in sight reading and improv. So onto the bass....

We visited two stores this weekend, one commercial, one garage. The garage guy really was cool...let us poke around...encouraged Nate to pick up the different basses and give them a twang. In the end he suggested a Tradition B100 as he felt that the sound was strong enough to run up against other $800 instruments but was a good value. Now in all of my internet searching and searching of this forum, I don't see a hit on Tradition Basses (http://www.traditionguitars.com/). What have I missed? This guy looks like a great shop with great support (multiple musicians came in and got minor maintenance done or picked up stuff on order). Yes, we can get the typical package that the commercial store and the garage guy had, but if a good bass is a bit more, I've got no problem springing for the extra if it's worth it. But our garage guy was pretty convincing that for Nate the B100 would be a good start.

When Nate when in and asked the music teacher about the Traditions, she gave the answer of either the Fender or the Peavey, which to me sounded pretty canned as the local on-site instrument renter carries both Fender and Peavey. We're really confused and could use some help. Nate really liked the B100...is there any reason not to let him have this one?

BTW, he want's it custom painted with black with metallic blue flames. A friend is an awesome paint of motorcycles, anything that I should pass along about custom paints?

Thanks for the patience of reading a newbie post and best regards to all.

Fred
    www.ourduck.com

2. Never heard of Tradition, there basses look like any other begginer bass. If you son read's music, then he's lucky trombone and bass are both in bass clef. The paint job shouldnt be too much of a problem, if the painter knows what he's doing. It shouldn't affect tone much. But I'm not exactly sure about that.

Maybe 10 years ago Fender and Peavey would of been a good choice for a begginer bass. But the market has exploded vastly. I'd suggest checking out

SX Basses
    http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/category.html?UCIDs=940496

Good value for the price and well known around these parts. Enjoy the bass experience.

3. Josh20g

Josh20g

Apr 14, 2011
    ok so here it goes. i have played on a tradition bass more than once its actually going to be my next bass. this bass will be great for you guys to start out on it has jumbo frets that help alot iv been playing bass for over 6 years and i have played alot of basses in that time. but heres the deal this bass is cheap and reliable and made by a luther in austin ( i havent met him but i drilled him with questions on the phone about the b100 :bassist:) the pickups are ceramic so later on if you want something alil diffrent i would suggest instead of buying a new bass just change out the pups all you need to know is how to solder. BUT peice of crap or bass only the gods should hold.. really doesnt matter all that matters is how it sounds to you and if you like how it feels when you hold it.... kinda like when your looking for a girl friend..... lol

4. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    It sounds as if your son is already an accomplished musician. I only WISH I could sight read music.

If you want to get him a bass he can try and learn on that you will be able to sell later when/if he wants to upgrade, it's hard to miss with a used Mexican made Fender. The fact that it says "Fender" on the headstock means you can sell it later fairly easily. This is not to say that it's the best bass for the money. There are others such as Peavey, Ibanez, Yamaha, Squier, etc. that are excellent starter basses (and beyond) for the money.

5. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Apr 29, 2010
    No affiliations
    I'd vote for a Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified Squier (Jazz or Precision - whichever feels better to him). If the name on the headstock is important then a MIM Fender.

Either way it will be a keeper, easy to upgrade, easy to find parts, comfortable, respected by the teachers at least thru high school and will hold its value better than most unknown brands.

One plus for a P bass - they are a little cheaper to upgrade since they only have one pickup.

If budget is a big concern then SX is hard to beat.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Seeing as how this thread is eight years old and the OP hasn't logged on in four years, he's probably not in desperate need of more opinions on the matter ;)

Closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.