Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traditional Bass/Modern Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogiebass, Oct 5, 2003.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I don't do this all the time but occasionally, it's just what's needed. An outdoor, festival country gig necessitates something different so I'm using this rig:

[​IMG]

The interesting thing is, the revealing nature of the rig really brings out the inherent tone quality of this old 1958 P bass without the usual "shroud" of sound the more traditional rigs (i.e. tube amps, vintage cabs, etc.) entail. It's a cool alternative, I think. Obviously, an old SVT still rocks with an old P bass. But this works, too. :cool:

BTW, Henry Kern recently modded my 777 and it's even more killer now! Which I didn't think possible.

2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have struggled with finding the Modern - Vintage tone. There are some undeniable standards that live on.
    I love so many different tones that I had to feel each of them till I settled with my F Bass with Zon strings into tube rigs. I also think that the louder and harder hitting your sound is, it becomes more of a compromise of what you have to work with and what you are looking for.
    For me, the switching amp thing did not work. Neither did the Eden thing. I always felt that the rig was too loud, but I couldn't hear myself. It felt like I could not control my tone. Tube amps work the best for me. Providing you use efficient speaker cabs.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I've sorta arrived at the opposite conclusion, RockBobby. Tubes (except in the preamp) just put too much color around the core sound of my basses for me. I also really like the headroom and clean, tight punch of ss power amps. I feel that when they're mated up with a sweet sounding tube preamp, I get exactly what I want. As in all things, taste is an individual thang, of course! :D