Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

traffic ticket ?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Dec 9, 2003.

1. since this is the "Off Topic" area, I come seeking opinions...

My wife and I had her Dad pick us up at the airport a few weeks back, in our car. A week later we get a traffic/parking ticket in the mail, marked with the violation at the time and place of the pickup. Keep in mind, this is Chicago - Midway Airport. He says he never heard from a cop, only that one at some point told him to get moving, which he did. We contested the ticket by mail, but "the City" denied our contest, which I guess is the last thing we can do. Apparently, the city can just mail you a ticket, with no mention made of it at the time of the "violation".

Anyway, I told my wife I have a hard time with us having to pay the ticket; what did we do wrong to incur this cost? She says I'm being un-gracious, as her dad did come to pick us up. But again, how is the responsibility ours? I'm not one to ask him about $ 50.00, but it would be nice for him to offer, since he was the one behind the wheel at the time of the ticket.

Am I wrong here?

Thanks,

Mark

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It doesn't sound like a very fair act on the part of 'The City'. I'm still sore at having got my first ever parking ticket last week for having parked with two wheels on the pavement (narrow road in an industrial estate type area). I thought I was being responsible by not obstructing the road any more than necessary (nor obstructing the pavement) but the current copy of the highway code does specify that parking on the pavement should only be done where signs explicitly allow it (unlike the 10-15 year old copy I had on my shelf). Grrr... but after fuming for a bit I decided to pay up and just be careful to avoid that problem again.

In your case, if you can't appeal against it any more, I'd pay up. If your father in law picks you up again and you get the same kind of ticket, you might have grounds for complaining against him but he's probably as pissed about it as you are. Refuse to pay or hold out for him to offer to cover it and at very least you're likely to not get any more free pickups from the airport...

Wulf

3. maybe I'm being a tad ungracious then.

Others?

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I believe that unrepresented tickets that are not of the photo-type(traffic-light/speeder) violations have been successfully argued in court.

If you know an attorney, that would be the place to start. (They're all over the place) If the priciple of the ticket itself is worth more than the fine, fight it.
    I think you have a case, but I have no legal standing to base that on.