1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tragedy and Age

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    It's frequently argued that children dying is tragic because "they were so young."

There's a debate to be had there, I'm sure.

What about when something like Seven Residents Dead in Nursing Home Shooting happens?

By my rough calculations, that's not very tragic then.

Did I forget to carry a one? Thoughts?

2. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    no, that kind of thing makes me sad and angry at the same time. sure, they were going to pass on after a while anyway, and i say that with the greatest respect, but they have just as much a right to live their lives to the fullest as a small child does. i mean, i would find it very hard to kill an elderly person. i do not kill people, but if i were i would not be able to do it. i cant imagine what the killer would be thinking to justify this kind of monstrosity. anyway, thats just what i have to say about that kind of thing, how awful it is.

3. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I think it's safe to presume that a high percentage of TBers are not manhunters.

I just keep hearing about the tragedy of kids being killed, or adults dying in their prime, so I was fully prepared to hear about how this was a non-event because of the relative ancientness of those gunned down.

4. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    hey man, you never know, you could be a manhunter, you never know

5. Just because it is tragic to loose someone when they are young, it does not detract from the tragidy of someone older dying. Especially in circumstances like that link.

6. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    The two legged beast is the most satisfying prey in many, many ways.
    You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't argue that children with "such promising futures" can be tragic in the same way that bedridden octogenarians are.

7. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    exactly, i mean, many of these elderly people had very promising pasts. they did great things too.

8. These people didn't die because of accidents. They died because someone had a wire loose and decided to go shoot them. Yes, they were old and bedridden, but the fact remains that their deaths were shocking and tragic, because of the way in which they died.

9. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    i say that when anyone dies, of natural couses or not, it is still a horrible loss. i mean, were people, can you imagine just not being alive anymore. i dont know what happens after you die, but i would like to stay alive for as long as i can. in some cases, it is good for the person to just slip away, they could be very sick and have immense pain. but if these people were doing well, and were healthy, then there was no reason for them to die

10. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If we're going to consider everyone murdered in a senseless killing rampage tragic, then we'll quickly devalue the word.

We have to hold high standards, especially with the killing sprees we've been having lately.

I propose we implement official criteria.

11. Oh, don't be so quick to presume. I'm guessing that would depend on your definition of "manhunter". Do you consider those that do the "catch and release" thing man hunters? I do.

Mike

12. good idea. I propose that the uglier you are, the more tragic your death because you never had a chance to know how easy life is when you look good. Very tragic.

mike

13. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    No head on the wall, no manhunter.
    So you don't see this as a black and white issue, but rather a scale of really, really, really tragic through, only, kinda, like a little tragic? Everything's tragic, but not everything's as tragic.

14. I never said they were tragic in the same way. I just said both could be tragic. The world isn't black and white.

15. I second this.

16. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    :p

17. What a ******* idiotic cry for attention this thread is. :rollno:

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Right. Using a scale of one to purple, with a median of badger.

19. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Well, it's definitely been a bummer for me.

20. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    +1. Typical though. Someone's dad didn't hug him enough. :rollno: