Tragedy creates dilemma.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tommixx, Aug 23, 2005.

1. I went to the Hospital this morning to get an MRI done of my back (after having a hip replacement in February that may have been unnecessary!! They seem to think the problem is degenerative bone disease in my lumbar (L3, L4, L5) area but that is another story)....after I get out and begin getting dressed I get a phone call from the artsist's manager that I WAS going out on tour seems that the rehearsal space we have been in for the past couple of months burned to the ground last night!!!!!!! They think the building was struck by lightning possibly but are not sure......Thank God noone was hurt!! There was a body shop or something next door that contained a LOT of flammable chemicals or something that caused a VERY hot fire, and as a result, it pretty much leveled the building to the foundation!! It got so hot that my DB680/CA9 (sitting on top of the SWR Goliath) rack and one of my Midas Venice consoles melted into a big puddle on the floor!! I don't think we will be able to salvage anything at all.......

Anyway, almost ALL of my gear was in the building.....Since I was the band leader and putting this tour together for a friend (I engineered the demo that got him his deal) we had been using mostly my gear for preproduction and were going to rent a system when we out!!! BIG Mistake for are just a few things that I lost:

'62 Fender Jazz
    '67 Fender Jazz
    '73 Fender P Bass
    New Fender Marcus Miller 4 (NOT the one I sent to Sadowsky!!)
    Warwick Streamer Stage 1 5 Custom
    Warwick Streamer Stage II 4
    Warwick Thumb 5 NT
    THUNDERFUNK TFB 550 (will DEFINITELY replace this!!)
    '72 Ampeg SVT/Vintage 8X10 cab (irreplaceable!!)
    Eden XLT 410
    SWR Goliath II 410
    Aguilar DB680/Crest CA9 rig
    2 Midas Venice 32 Channel consoles
    almost all my outboard gear including a pair of VINTAGE NEVE 1073 mic pres and a pair of SSL XLogic channel strips, various reverbs, delays and processing INCLUDING BOTH of my 2 remaining Avalon U5's!!!!
    my Meyer wedge and my Inear rig!!
    Complete JBL SRX PA and Monitors
    Various Snakes and mini snakes
    cables out the yazoo (probably well over $5,000 worth at least)
    a set of DW drums and a Korg Workstation
    plus other stuff I haven't even thought of yet!!!

The only basses I have left are my beloved NYC Sadowsky 4, the Marcus Miller that Sadowsky is working on, an old Aria Pro II that I have in a glass case with my first gold record in my office and a few parted out Frankenbasses.....That is IT!!!! Needless to say this is not a pleasant situation to be in....BUT what makes it worse for me is the fact that I ordered a AAAA Caramel burst Standard 4 from Roger a few months ago (he is having 2 sprayed for me to choose from!!) and now I have to replace the gear I have lost (Insurance is only going to cover 80% at THE MOST....I never figured I would lose it ALL at once.....I guess you live and learn)......I talked to Kevin today and he is going to let me know about a 5 string I am talking to him about....

The dilemma is these basses should be back from spray anytime now (I don't know if they have already been sprayed or not!!) and I really would like to see somebody here get them.....I did a thread on selecting the body a while back and Roger was going to spray the 2 bodies that were chosen.....I wish I could buy it anyway but I know that I am going to have to eat a PILE after all is said and done and I don't want to spend anymore than I have to right now!!!

Somebody PLEASE call Kevin and ask about these PERFECT bodies....mention the situation with the fire and he will know what bodies you are talking about...

To top it all off, I found out (as mentioned) that I have a degenerative bone disease and am going to have to make my rig as light as I can get it and therefore will most likely get rid of my El Whappo and get a TRI210 (wish my emoticons worked, I would put a BIG CRYING face HERE!!) Even worse for me is I will likely have to sell my Sadowsky NYC Vintage 4 now!! I don't really want to but I know I am going to have to.....Feel free to PM me if anybody is interested.....

Thankfully, noone was hurt so I am at least greatful for that. We are all pretty much still in a state of shock and I don't really know where to begin but am just taking it as it comes....All I can say is Hug your significant other, spend a few minutes with your kids or friends, and be thankful for the things we have and if you can say a prayer for those who have lost, it would be appreciated!!

PLEASE CALL KEVIN at Sadowsky if you are looking for a Great bass and might be interested in one of these bodies!!! God Bless.....

2. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    OMG. That is just overwhelming. So very sorry to hear about these tragic events.

~ Keef

3. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    So sorry to hear about all the gear you lost. As far as getting a lighter rig, I had to do that also a few years ago after my Back problems. Take it easy and hang in there we all have ups & downs you will be OK. :bassist:

4. OMG :crying: !

I really feel with you man. That's just horrible. The sentimental value must've been huge. I've had my amp broken by a band rehearsing in the same place as my band, and just that caused a massive emotional display...I can't imagine how you must feel.

I hope your insurance company will look in their hearts for you, and help you the best they can.

To bad about your medical condition too. I still get shocked when I read about all these medical bills in the U.S.A. at astronomical numbers.

Hope everything works out for you!
  5. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Give all that over to God.
  6. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I am truly sorry to here this .... just stay healthy and play through....
    best of luck to you.
    - Tom
  7. I only made it through the first 6 items or so of the list

I had to look away

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Terribly sorry to hear man. We're all here for ya
  9. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
  10. Dang, so sorry to hear about this, and all at once. Besides the money involved, much of what you lost is pretty irreplaceable. And then comes your health... I hope you get better, above all other things.
  11. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA

That is unbelievable! Hang in there.
  12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sorry to hear about your back!!! I hope you are able to find ways to keep the pain in check.

Gear is replaceable, but they don't have aftermarket spines (yet).
  13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

What a terrible loss.

Sure, it's only stuff, and stuff can be replaced, but I'm sure you have fond memories of all that incredible equipment.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Good luck in your recovery. Hopefully this is the low point and it will all get better from here on.
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Man, this is unthinkable.

I can't imagine the loss of all those old friends AND the medical problems all at once.

My heart really goes out to you and I hope you land in a positive place when this is all said and done.
  15. Thanks guys....Yeah, a LOT of memories and a lot of miles on the 2 Vintage Fenders, the 1073's, and the SVT especially.....The sad thing is I usually NEVER leave them out of my was raining very heavily when we finished and we all just left our gear there!! Lost them trying to stay dry of all things....God MUST have a plan.....I appreciate the sentiments....

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Just remember that you can't take it with you and that music is in your heart and not your gear. Be grateful you have insurance and just thank God you weren't there when it happened!
  17. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'm so sorry man.

I don't know what to say. :bawl:

18. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Man, you have been out of luck there buddy.

You should ask the guys at Shadowsky to make you the same kind of basses that Jason newstead got from them. Jason switched from Alembic to shadowsky because of back problems and Shadowsky made extra light basses for him to use on stage, I guess they have hollwed out bodies I'm not quite sure.

A well known Dutch Bassplayer who is one of our customers at the Knooren workshop recently had to cope with physical problems as well, he now performs almost the whole set while sitting on a barstool. That might also be a good option for you; playing live while sitting on a bar stool only getting up when needed, it'll take a lot of things off your back (no pun intended) make life on the road a lot easier.

To replace your vintage basses I guess you should get in touch with shops like Elderly, Rumbleseat or George Gruhn's, they also will help you get another vintage Ampeg cab.

But that's just suggestions.
  19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY put a positive spin on can now (hopefully) go and find some cool new stuff or hunt down some of those older basses that feel right too. There have got to be a few things you've always wanted that you've shrugged off because of all the stuff you already have.

I really love the thrill of the hunt.
  20. Blazer....thanks, I have actually been playing sitting on a stool since about late March!!! Hard to get the groove out of my pants when I am sitting!! LOL!! I have definitely made some changes to my lifestyle lately....I get a bit of wrist pain when I play seated for too long, I am hoping that maybe my hand position is a bit off or something when I am sitting and it is not tendonitis or worse coming on as well......

BurningSkies......I know that is potentially one up side.....about the only one I can think of right now....I know things will work out the way they are supposed to...Thanks for the cheer!!

Thanks to everyone!!