Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tragic and VERY stupid!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yesterday, some IDIOT gave his wife her VERY first riding lesson in a parking lot on a 1999 Yamaha YZFR1 and NO HELMET!!! He was on foot next to her while she rode. These types of bikes have very sensitive throttles. This bike got away from her and she and the bike went THROUGH a chainlink fence and crashed head on into a brick wall. She died on the spot. I'm guessing that after the bike took off, she panicked, and pulled back on the throttle. I feel very bad for him, but that was really stupid. First of all, I know some seasoned riders that can't handle that bike, but to put your loved one on it for a "first lesson" and NO helmet?! Also, this makes the "wrist down" position VERY important! Jeez!!!!

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    man,

3. That's absolutely terrible. :(

I just will never understand how the minds of some people work. :confused:

That's very sad.

Mike

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What a waste, and so stupid.

That type of machine should not even be approached by anyone but an absolute expert rider.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    It was the lead story on last night's newscast. From a human standpoint, I can see how she'd stay on. When most people panic, their first instinct is to hold on for dear life. BTW, we're talking about a bike with a dry weight of 378lbs., 180 bhp, sub 10 second 1/4 mile, and a top speed of 185+! :eek: Also, on these types of bikes, you really don't have to pull the throttle that hard. Actually that's true for just about any bike. It's the MAIN reason why they teach new riders the Wrist Down approach.

6. Oh dear, that's just very sad...

I can't imagine what he was thinking. :(

7. That's nuts! :eek:

I know a little about bikes, but not much. Doesn't the average Harley weigh about 600lbs., with about 80 horsepower? :confused:

That Yamaha must be a monster!

Mike

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Roughly. BTW, my bike weighs 426lbs. with 65 hp.
    That Yammy is a monster!

9. Thanks, Woodman. ;)

Mike

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Isn't the YZF-R1 a factory made racing bike with added turn signals and speedometer for street use? :eek: Crazy stuff, it's a slight twist of the throttle and you're doing 30mph on those things.

I got a bike licence few years ago but I drove that with a Honda Shadow 125cc(I was 16 at the time, hence the size), so I didn't start with any special grip. Is the wrist down grip where you grab the throttle sort of from beneath? I guess it makes it harder to go for the front break, but then again that's probably better for a beginner too :D

11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    This story is tragic, but it is so stupid that it deserves its nomination at the Darwin Awards, IMO.

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'm sure what the man is going through right now is punishment enough for his stupidity. How incredibly sad is that...

I probably shouldn't have even thought of this, but does anyone think maybe it was a little more sinister than it was explained? I mean how can you be *that* stupid?

13. Damn dude,that sucks.

14. You think there might have been alcohol, or other "substance" involved?

John

15. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I'm afraid it's true. Click on the link for the news story

16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Guys, if you haven't been on/in something with an extreme horsepower to weight ratio, it would be hard to understand how this could happen. The guy was a complete tool for puting and unexperienced rider on that bike, period. When you get into that kind of power to weight ratio, things happen FAST, and someone with no experience or training has only one thing, reflexes! Imagine unexpectedly pulling G-forces similar to a large roller coaster, you can't expect someone with no knowledge to take the split second to think about what they are doing, and correct the situation. If anyone deserves the darwin, it is the idiot that put her on it.

17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Isn't that what most of us are saying/thinking? :confused:

I consider the woman just a poor innocent victim, who obviously didn't know what she was getting into.

18. Holy jeez.

We had a guy at work (new rider, had a license about 3 weeks) loose it on a work bike. He didn't get hurt, but his inexperience caused the wreck no doubt. He had problems w/ the 250 nighthawk when I was helping him learn. I let him know that he needed more seat time to learn the mechanics behind the fact that you need both hands, both feet, both eyes and whatever else you can use to keep control. Not hard once used to it, but takes time to develop the skills.

BTW, a work bike is a 600lb 90whp custom bike. Not honda VTX / Valkrye / Goldwing weight, but "unique" handling. You can hurt your ass quick.

I feel sorry for the lady, and sorry for the guy for his total lack of being able to make decisions.

Jeez.

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The wrist down approach is probably the most important part of riding IMO. It takes a potentially lethal but natural human reaction and turns it into an advantage. Whenever a human being gets a fright, most will automatically retract. In doing so, you pulling back on the throttle, thus accelerating when you should be stopping as fast as you can. If you're holding the throttle correctly, pulling back actually CLOSES the throttle, giving you a better chance.

But she wasn't to know that. She wasn't to know how much power an R1 has.

Is there any talk about charging him with manslaughter?