1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trail and Error, Effects and the state of my Fuzz quest

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by grygrx, May 3, 2006.

1. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I've been hunting for my "dream" fuzz for awhile now and I actually thought I had it, but sadness has crept in again.

I've got a PE depth charge, which is one of the best sounding bass pedals I've used. The low end is perfect. All that said, it's not the perfect fuzz pedal for me. It's starting to feel like hunting the wumpus.

The problem I'm having with the depth charge is as follows:
    I have two amps, one I use for at home practice and one I use for band practice. The sound produced using the same bass and effects chain is SIGNIFICANTLY different from Amp to Amp.

My home practice amp is a Roland DB500. My "rig" is an Eden WT400/Schroeder 1210. Now the Eden/Schro is very bright and clean, with low end on command (which is great uneffected) while the DB500 seems to chop a little off the top end. Normally this isn't an issue, but testing fuzz pedals (and the PE in paticular) there is!

Through the DB500 I can dial in either a raunchy "metal" fuzz or a more smooth rolling fuzz. The Eden leaves me with the inability to get that smooth/creamy because there is always the slight octave buzz lurking on the edges... I can't seem to dial it out without hurting my uneffected tone. So I guess in this paticular case clarity and high pitch reproduction is causing me pain. So I guess it's back to long lusty glances @ pedalgeek and extended evenings searching e-bay.

The pedal has some great uses, but just not that lush creamy fuzz I long for...

I needed to rant some, I was so sure I was done. I just kept getting angerier and angerier while testing yesterday (trying to figure out what was going on).

I'm offically taking Fuzz w/uncontrolled octave introduction (Brassmaster Clones) off my lust list.

Currently in my eye (in order):
    SIB Nick Nitro (on the way... via ebay) -NIX
    MI Audio Neo Fuzz
    Wooly Mammouth
    Chuck Systems Brown Dog gated fuzz.

PS: I love my life, everyone should have such pressing problems.

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Active or passive bass?

As I may have a sound clip you'd like

3. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I currently have a pair of passive basses.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
  5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
  6. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    While I like both clips, it seems like I just won't KNOW until it's in my grubby little mitts thundering from my equipment.

Curious question for each of you (and it might be hard to answer), how well does the fuzz/fundemental render on the B string? That is one thing I can't bitch about the Depth Charge and would rather "suffer on" with it's other flaws rather than give up.

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    works fine on mine

8. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Hrm.. not good. I've been lusting after an analogue filter for awhile and this would be the perfect change to buy both! :)

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Tell them Steven Taylor sent you :D

10. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    heh, just noticed my title is trail and not trial

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would recommend talking to the guy who makes "Klonbender" pedals (search for that word on ebay, his website isn't up yet). He makes fuzzes which have an external bias control, which is helpful when you switch between different basses and amps, or when the weather changes. I haven't used one of his pedals myself, but I'm keen to.

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Every amp is going to react differently to a particular pedal, just becasue of each amps individual characteristics. Finding a pedal that sounds exaclty the same for both setups if going the be exactly like hunting the extra-elusive jackalope.

IMO - Find a pedal that gives you what you want on your stage rig and don't sweat how it sounds on the practice amp. The practice amp is just for practice, right?

13. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Absolutely. If that wasn't clear... It should be. I was sad because it sounded great on my practice amp and only good on my main rig. If it was the other way around, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

14. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Does your Roland have enough volume to use in conjuction with your Eden? It would be ideal to have your main rig clean and a separate one for distortion. Get some kind of splitter (that you can return if it doesn't work out) and see if it works for you. The Roland may not need the volume you would think if it were used only to add distortion.

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Another thought...if you are using your "main rig" for playing live, does anyone besides you know the difference? When you practice, it's just you listening probably, and sounding good in that setting is always inspiring.

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  17. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Normally I would say no, people arn't going to notice the difference. In this case, it's pretty extreme. While people STILL might not notice (random folk being immune to our murky nuances), the band sure as hell does...

and if the guitar notices... it must be serious.

18. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Have you thought of an EQ pedal after it? I'd especially recommend the Boss 10-band in your situation. Just save you different EQs for different amps/basses and recall them when you need to!

19. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I don't know if you've tried it yet, but Homebrew Electronics' U.F.O. is pretty sweet. I had the pleasure to try one out the other day and was totally impressed. I don't know about the low B issue, though. IMO, it's worth a good, long look. Good luck.

20. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    hrm.. thats thinking outside the box.. :)