1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trailer about demise of music industry

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ukiah Bass, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Pretty bleak, but worth a look:

http://vimeo.com/58809695

About the clip by Count Eldridge:

Teaser clips from the forthcoming documentary film "Unsound". This is not the final trailer, just a fundraising piece so we can raise funds to edit the film.

Directed and produced by Count
    Music by Zoe Keating, Count, and Album Leaf
    Zoe Keating remixed by Count

2. Sad, sad story however, I bet most of us on TB use free down loads.

3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Not me. If it's offered as free, yes. Otherwise I pay for everything. I happen to be a professional content creator so this topic is personally critical. People who steal music, literature, or any other digital content that is officially for sale (not free) are ... thieves, criminals, and basically dishonest. Pretty black and white to me. So is my bank account. I can't eat, heat my house or pay the mortgage on "free."

4. I have viewed youtube, but never copied or retained a copy.....NEVER downloaded a music-product..free or otherwise. ..as from NAPSTER or some such.

After viewing this..at least from ground-level I declare..
    NO MORE FREE MUSIC... [except at your own financial risk..if you want to give it away..]

NO MORE PAY-TO-PLAY. Your mechanic, plumber wouldn't operate like this.

NO MORE TIP JARS. Same as above...

I see great musicians in Atlanta....playing for tip jars..SAD... especially when I see Atlantans pay high $$ for concert tix, sport events and movies.

Ukiah: You may recall this being the case in A T L before leaving us??

5. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Cool, so do you expect everyone to stop streaming and downloading music as well or do you have a realistic business model that no one else has thought of?

6. NO..and if I did, I wouldn't give that away either..LOL..

I'm just saying the industry has a responsibility in this.

If it was never given away in the first place...we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Again..at ground level...grass roots effort..NO MORE PAY-TO-PLAY..NO-MORE-TIP JARS.

I am not against the ocassional pro-bono 'free concert in the park' type of thing..but when I won't open a case for less than $50..and the gig is tip jars ??.. FOOLS..someone else can have it.

I have been goaded too many times into playing 'freebies..for the exposure".. "sure to get paying gigs out of It"....NEVER HAPPENED A SINGLE TIME..ALWAYS TAKEN AS FOOLS PERFORMING FOR FREE.

DJ's won't do it for tip jars or for free..why should we??

Part of the problem is culture. America sees 'musician' as an avocation. In Europe, 'musician' is a valid career choice.

Don't believe me?? Ask our T B bretheren across the Atlantic and beyond...

If I am mistaken, then the music industry is ruined globally.

"....AND THEN THERE'S THE NEGATIVE SIDE "..

Instruments and equipment I perform with were paid for with cash. My 'artistry' as such and entertainment value have a worth...as does my time, regardless of talent and ability.

Don't want to pay for it?? My bass stays in the case.

OH.I will perform for legit charities...and they gladly provide documentation for my tax write off, too. ..again time has a value.

Yours time doesn't have a value??.. Then..HEY I have a lawn you can help maintain..I'll even provide the mower and gas.