1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Training exercises

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by IeamahYafada, Aug 7, 2012.

1. IeamahYafada

IeamahYafada

Aug 7, 2012
    Hello, I've been playing bass for about 9 months now. I'm going to be playing with my school's jazz band in a few weeks, but I'm not sure that I've got solid enough technique (no teachers for lessons were available when I started). I've got a grip on scales and a few chords, so is there any advice on how I can get better consistency by then? I've got six years of tuba playing (with lessons) under my belt, if that's any help.

2. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    I assume you are a good reader?

If so that will help you out a fair bit as all you have to do is play what is written rather than come up with ideas.
    If not a good reader just brush up and practice it.
    Chord charts. Look them up and get familier with their use and how they are constructed, learn to read and use them.
    Music, listen to it and enjoy it, hear the bass parts and how they interact, if any grab your attention work them out.

The big thing is to enjoy it and grow with the experience.
    Be honest with yourself and your abilities, also be honest with those around you concerning them. Everyone starts somewhere so every one needs some leeway, so if those around you are aware of any weakness, they can help you eliminate it, I would hope, rather than berate you for it.
    Music is music, so it is the change of instrument that you represent on is the factor, I also was a brass player and I found the transition to bass easy because I applied what I knew about music to the bass, not what I knew about bass.
    But the big thing is have fun, you will learn more and quicker if it is fun for you.

3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Practicing arpeggios and learning how to connect them smoothly, would be time well spent IMO.

Here are some lessons :

4. IeamahYafada

IeamahYafada

Aug 7, 2012
    Thanks for the quick help! I'll be sure to try out the arpeggio exercises. I've also gotten some help from another bassist in the band who's been in it for the past couple years now, so I should be in better shape once we start playing together.