Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trancriptions of solo pieces

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by johnvice, Apr 19, 2005.

1. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Hello Mike;

As an expert on bass playing with a phrase sampler, consider transcribing solo performance piecs.

There was a trasncription of "The Fish" bu Chris Squire/Yes in the last issue of BassGuitar that got me hooked. I'd love to be able to (try to) play some of your solo bass pieces in a similar manner.

- John Vice

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    John,

Thanks for your interest.

try:
    http://www.bassically.net/lessons/online_lessons.htm#dimin

I have a lesson coming out in an upcoming Bassics Magazine of a solo verison of Saint James Infirmary (with video)

In '06, I will have a book, The Art of Solo Bass coming out on Mel Bay, it will have a number of solo bass and looping arrangements

Finally if you can get volume 30 of Bassics Magazine there is a solo bass arrangement of The Shadow of Your Smile.

Mike

3. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mike,

Ummm.... I know that the video game people do it, but is there a way to become a "beta tester" for this material, I'd really hate to know that you put out something without doing the quality assurance work that really needs to go into products!

BTW, is this response humorous, ingratiating and cheeky enough to actually get an advance copy?

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    How could I have been so stupid as not to get you all the materials beforehand. Let me fedex them to you tonight, you should have them by morning

uh....no :eek:

Mike

5. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Ask and you shall recieve... An answer!

All joking aside Mike, I really have found your "Chordal Approach" book quite approachable (and beneficial) and can't wait for this next project to come about. I live in a small area where the music scene isn't quite as broad based as I'd like to hear, but it's good materials that help keep me going.

All the best on this project coming to fruition soon. I know some companies allow folks to pre-order material that is on it's way, do tell if/when this is a possibility.

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I will, most certainly, keep everyone aprised of the release date of the book.

Mike