'Trane - Mr. P.C.

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Mud Flaps, May 20, 2004.

1. Play the Melody.

1 vote(s)
  2. Walk and Play the Last 3 Notes of the Melody.

1 vote(s)
  3. Walk the Whole Time.

4 vote(s)
  1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I've never heard a recording of this. In fact, I had never heard it before I got to class two days ago.

What should I do during the melody section?

(The last 3 notes of each phrase of the melody are empasized.)
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You can do whichever you like - that's the beauty of Jazz!! ;)

On the album "Giant Steps", Mr PC himself walks through the whole thing at very high tempo!! But I know Dave Holland does a solo version where he plays the melody and the last part of each phrase as parallel fifths - this is quiet nice on electric bass as well.

I've played it at jams/workshops and have emphasised the 3 notes you mention - mostly to give the thing a different feel from "just another minor blues" and it works OK. So usually that bit would then be in unison with the piano player.

But basically you can do what you like - you could do a Latin version or even chage the time signature - it's a fairly simple tune and lends itself to variations. :)
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I always walk thru that Ab to g chord
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Me, too.
  5. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    That's the bluesiest part of the whole ditty-especially if the drummer is playin' some hip ****. When the guys ask to do that tune, I let them play the tune-too hack on bass, or if they want to get the rocks off on a minor tune, there are too many other tunes that aren't over-played; I'll call another minor tune like 'Birk's Works'-cool changes.