Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trans for my 92 explorer.. HELP!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hateater, Nov 13, 2003.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I just switched my car from reverse to drive rather quickly... and the oddest thing happened. There was a "whirly noise", and ever gear except for D2 acts as though it is in nutreal.

I realize that my trans is screwed, but what is up with D2 working? Does anyone know anything about this? help!

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Bump for Mike N...

I've heard of this before, but I can't remember what it's caused by.

My only advice--Check your tranny fluid.

3. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Already checked it. It's fine.

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Then all I know to tell you to do is sit tight and wait for Mike N to show up and tell you what to do:D:D:D

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Obviously something in the tranny let go. As for why D2 works and no other gears work, there are a series of clutch packs and drums in the tranny, some for only one gear, and some are for more than one gear.

In a GM TH350 tranny, "Reverse" and "Drive" share the same clutches, so when you lose one gear you typically lose the other, but "First" and "Second" will probably still work.

The tranny is going to have to come out of the truck to fix.

6. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Funny (not really "funny") that you should mention this, Hate-guy, but I have a '92 Explorer too.. and just since yesterday the tranny's been acting peculiar. Not looking forward to dealing with that. If it all goes bad, I'll probably dump it for a friggin' minivan :)

7. If need be, we can form an intervention team to prevent you from doing this terrible, terrible thing! The worst thing a man can do is... I have trouble even saying it... buy a minivan.

Please help me prevent Mike from doing horrible deed! BASSISTS DON'T LET BASSISTS DRIVE MINIVANS!

Actually I had a similar thing happen to the tranny in my Mazda Navajo(rebadged Explorer). After many years of neglect it started acting up. A routine service took care of it. Hopefully that's all you'll need.

Bob

8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Nice try, Bobbo.. but I'm all about "practical vehicles" these days.. I don't give a **ck what anyone thinks about my ride.. if it gets me here & there reliably at minimal cost while hauling my gear, I'm golden.

Oh... and it'll be AT LEAST 5 years old when I buy it.

I guess the 196K miles probably has something to do with the trouble, though.

9. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Routine services are intended to prevent major problems, not cure them.
    Consider yourself lucky. :)

10. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I have to take my Explorer down to the mechanic later today... I am at about 180,000 miles.

11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> It's probably history bro...You're lucky
    it went that far. You can get used one
    with a warranty from these guys:
    They can tell you how many miles are
    on it and everything. Their stuff is
    good. They're in Santa Fe Springs.
    Lakenor Auto Salvage:
    1-800-LAKENOR.

12. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If you want to minimize the damage thats already been done, have it towed. Dont be tempted to limp it down there in second gear. Youve probably already got parts floating around in the pan, and driving it could do worse damage to hard parts, like the front pump, drums, sprag etc......

13. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Good idea... I am already about $1,200.00 down.