Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JohnL, Dec 30, 2002.

1. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Got tickets to see them at the Fox Theater in Atlanta tonight. (my guitarist buddy scored them) I've only heard one song of theirs; kinda reminds me of Mannheim Steamroller on a heavy metal kick. Anyone ever catch one of their shows?

2. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    I also went to their concert, and my I add, that there was this one guy, when he opened his mouth to sing, I was instantly put to tears...They rocked...One of the best concerts I have ever been to...Although there have not been many. You will enjoy the show tremendously.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Great show! I thought the orchestral instruments were mixed a bit low, though. But I had a great time. :)

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'll be at the Fox tonight, too.
    My parents had tickets, and my dad said, "I think this is more your speed, than mine."

I caught them on Good Morning America recently, and it was amusing, to say the least, to see Alex Skolnik playing "Carol of the Bells." :D

It should be fun.

5. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    :eek: Wow!

I didn't know what to expect, but I didn't expect that! The performance was incredible, and really defied description. I was a little skeptical when I heard that the guitarists and bass player were ex-Megadeath and Sabotage members. No offense meant; that's just not my bag, and I wouldn't normally pay $40 to see it. Guess it pays to keep an open mind (a trait that sets us bass players apart from the rest of the musician-rabble.;)

Heavy metal, classical, jazz, blues, choral, narration, killer light show, and dry ice all rolled into a very slick production. About 2-1/2 hours of music; it seemed like it went by in about 15 minutes. Two thumbs up!

6. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    I am so glad that you enjoyed the show...I can't wait for them to come back to Nashville, I would definately go and see them again.

7. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    How can you have a TSO thread with no mention of (the parent band) Savatage ???

Damn heretics !

8. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    :p Sorry, I but I DID make an attempt. Last night, I thought the guy was saying "Sabotage" instead on "Savatage"! What can I say? I said it wasn't normally my bag!:D

9. John, How easy do you think it would be to do a cover or two of some TSO Christmas stuff? I'm really itching to work on some if I could convince the powers that be.

10. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Hammy, funny you should mention that. We decided last night that there were a couple that we'd like to trot out next year for our Christmas service. Specifically, we really liked the "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman/Carol of the Bells" combo, and their version of "Silent Night" was really nice. we figured we'd need to start working on it in April to have it ready by Christmas;) :D!

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Man you are Lucky... I've wanted to see TSO in concert for awhile now.. but they never get close to me.. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet one year and go see them